Boxing Forums banner

Repeat or Revenge?

1 - 20 of 324 Posts

· Registered
12,672 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and say Joshua by stoppage. A.J. simply fought the wrong way against Usyk in the first fight, letting him set the pace of the action and not using his size and power advantage to his favor.

He lost to Ruiz, came back and embarrassed the guy in the second fight, but it didn't help Ruiz to come into that fight even fatter than he was in their first bout. Usyk won't be that guy and will come into the ring in great shape but I feel if Joshua wants to force the action, it will eventually wear down and overwhelm Usyk.

Do I care who wins-------not really. Just going with my gut feeling.

· Registered
12,861 Posts
Usyk stoppage

I can see Usyk getting dropped or maybe hurt but theres no way AJ finishes him, watch when AJ hurt Pulev he was scared to empty the tank and gas like the Wlad fight

Pulev got knocked down twice in the 3rd and survived til the 9th and AJ looked scared to get hit

Even if he rocks Usyk big time I think it has to be a big shot or he will empty the tank and get stopped, very hard fight for AJ to win

· Registered
1,820 Posts
As much as I want AJ to win, I think ultimately Usyk is too good technically and will ride out some hairy early attacks to win on points. I wouldn't be surprised if AJ wins by KO in the first 4 but it's definitely the lower odds outcome I give AJ maybe 30% chance of managing that but otherwise the Ukrainian will retire the man from Watford.

· Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Judgement day for AJ. I wish him all the best and I'll be rooting for him but that's as far as I can go. Money will be going on Usyk to retain the world heavyweight title come August 20. Joshua admitted in the London presser that Usyk's southpaw stance was a nuisance. Well, his ring IQ, feints and judge of distance are yet more problems for him to overcome and he knows that if he throws the kitchen sink at Usyk and fails to get rid of him then he's getting knocked out and if he tries to pace himself and win on points he'll be outboxed again so I can only see AJ winning by robbery and sadly that option will be firmly on the table in SA.

· Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a bidding war with DAZN, BT Sport and the BBC, Sky Sports have pipped their competitors to earn the broadcasting rights for Anthony Joshua's August showdown with Oleksandr Usyk.

I cannot believe DAZN let Joshua's promoter seperate this fight from the broadcast deal the fighter just recently penned, why would they do that when his contract with Sky ended after his last fight? Shocking bit of business on the face of it.

The fight will be screened live on Sky Sports Box Office.

· Registered
1,820 Posts
After a bidding war with DAZN, BT Sport and the BBC, Sky Sports have pipped their competitors to earn the broadcasting rights for Anthony Joshua's August showdown with Oleksandr Usyk.

I cannot believe DAZN let Joshua's promoter seperate this fight from the broadcast deal the fighter just recently penned, why would they do that when his contract with Sky ended after his last fight? Shocking bit of business on the face of it.

The fight will be screened live on Sky Sports Box Office.
From everything EH has said AJ had no control over it, the Saudi's had the rights as part of the whole hosting deal and Matchroom/258 had no involvement. I think given that DAZN were crazy to sign a deal unless there is a clause in the deal which massively cuts the value if he loses to Usyk again. I presume a global media company wouldn't be stupid enough to hand over a 9 figure sum to a busted flush but I guess stranger things have happened.

· Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From everything EH has said AJ had no control over it, the Saudi's had the rights as part of the whole hosting deal and Matchroom/258 had no involvement. I think given that DAZN were crazy to sign a deal unless there is a clause in the deal which massively cuts the value if he loses to Usyk again. I presume a global media company wouldn't be stupid enough to hand over a 9 figure sum to a busted flush but I guess stranger things have happened.
But that's what I mean, why let SA host it under those terms? The promoter is responsible for brokering that deal, they weren't obligated to stage the fight there, they could have put it anywhere in the world with a condition attached that DAZN will be the lead broadcaster and that's what DAZN should have demanded before they signed AJ on this new deal. My criticism is solely of the way DAZN seem to have conducted its business here

· Registered
1,820 Posts
But that's what I mean, why let SA host it under those terms? The promoter is responsible for brokering that deal, they weren't obligated to stage the fight there, they could have put it anywhere in the world with a condition attached that DAZN will be the lead broadcaster and that's what DAZN should have demanded before they signed AJ on this new deal. My criticism is solely of the way DAZN seem to have conducted its business here
Well it's all money I presume that SA offered enough that even with them keeping the TV rights that it was worth it for AJ overall. I presume that all the TV broadcasters were presented with the Usyk II situation as a fait de complis and therefore they had to do the deal as was proposed, for me it's all down to the small print, if the quoted £100m shrinks to £30m or £40m if he loses then it's fine, otherwise they massively overpayed.

· Registered
12,861 Posts
That's not a prediction, that's an analysis.

A prediction would be you saying how many punches AJ will throw. Which of course you cannot.

- Hence my previous comment.
I predict if AJ throws more punches than the first fight he will lose by stoppage

Are you that nerd that always ruins the party with scientific facts and scares the girls lol

· Registered
2,158 Posts
Carl Froch says Anthony Joshua 'needs a brain transplant in order to beat Oleksandr Usyk' in the rematch.

Teddy Atlas says 'I think Joshua 'accepts losing a little too freely. Almost like a guy who’s made too much money.'

· Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Live on Sky Sports Box Office and priced at £26.95, a sneaky £2 increase from the previous. You can visit skysports.com/usyk for more info. Correction, that's skysports.com/joshua (for some reason)

1 - 20 of 324 Posts