Boxing Forums banner

Repeat or Revenge?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Judgement day for AJ. I wish him all the best and I'll be rooting for him but that's as far as I can go. Money will be going on Usyk to retain the world heavyweight title come August 20. Joshua admitted in the London presser that Usyk's southpaw stance was a nuisance. Well, his ring IQ, feints and judge of distance are yet more problems for him to overcome and he knows that if he throws the kitchen sink at Usyk and fails to get rid of him then he's getting knocked out and if he tries to pace himself and win on points he'll be outboxed again so I can only see AJ winning by robbery and sadly that option will be firmly on the table in SA.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a bidding war with DAZN, BT Sport and the BBC, Sky Sports have pipped their competitors to earn the broadcasting rights for Anthony Joshua's August showdown with Oleksandr Usyk.

I cannot believe DAZN let Joshua's promoter seperate this fight from the broadcast deal the fighter just recently penned, why would they do that when his contract with Sky ended after his last fight? Shocking bit of business on the face of it.

The fight will be screened live on Sky Sports Box Office.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From everything EH has said AJ had no control over it, the Saudi's had the rights as part of the whole hosting deal and Matchroom/258 had no involvement. I think given that DAZN were crazy to sign a deal unless there is a clause in the deal which massively cuts the value if he loses to Usyk again. I presume a global media company wouldn't be stupid enough to hand over a 9 figure sum to a busted flush but I guess stranger things have happened.
But that's what I mean, why let SA host it under those terms? The promoter is responsible for brokering that deal, they weren't obligated to stage the fight there, they could have put it anywhere in the world with a condition attached that DAZN will be the lead broadcaster and that's what DAZN should have demanded before they signed AJ on this new deal. My criticism is solely of the way DAZN seem to have conducted its business here

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Live on Sky Sports Box Office and priced at £26.95, a sneaky £2 increase from the previous. You can visit skysports.com/usyk for more info. Correction, that's skysports.com/joshua (for some reason)

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's fight week and the bookmakers have spoken, the defending champion is the 1/2 favourite to retain the world heavyweight crown in Jeddah on Saturday. You can get Anthony Joshua by any means at 7/4 or if you fancy the draw they'll give you odds of 20.

Anthony Joshua sat down with Sky Sports this week and confirmed that the winner on Saturday night cannot call themselves the best in the world unless they also beat Tyson Fury (except if Fury is retired for good).

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just watching the open workouts and noticed that DAZN don't have anything at all on the advertising space in the ring. Sky Sports do but no DAZN, aren't DAZN the worldwide broadcasters (minus Ukraine)? I can't get on the DAZN US website it keeps automatically diverting me to my home site, I just wanted to see if it's on PPV over there too, does anybody know or mind checking if you're in the US and have DAZN?

I forgot I had a late shift booked for this Saturday, I've cancelled it now obviously, no chance I miss this, I'm watching the whole of this one and it has to be live.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Fight Week Trivia: (I'll 'like' the first correct answer)
Q - Besides having their father's name, what do Andy Ruiz Jr, Teofimo Lopez Jr and George Kambosos Jr have in common?

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Usyk looked like a man on a mission. Not sure AJ was comfortable being there.
Funny enough the odds have come in (albeit ever so slightly) on a Joshua win whereas I thought it might go the other way after the weigh-in concluded.

Luis Pabon will appear for the third time in a world title contest in Saudi Arabia as he is set to take charge of tonight's main event, Pabon previously officiated when Joshua regained the world heavyweight title in his Clash on the Dunes and before that he was the man in the middle when Callum Smith claimed the WBSS crown with a stoppage over Saint George (also in Jeddah I believe).

Live odds:
Usyk 4/7
Joshua 13/8
Draw 16/1

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
AJ, the whole of 🇬🇧 is with you!

We're underway in The Jeddah Super Dome, here is tonight's running order (courtesy of The Sun). I myself will tune in from 5pm. The start times obviously are approximate and these are UK times (I think the local time is +2)
  • Oleksandr Usyk vs Anthony Joshua (10.54pm) - World heavyweight championship WBA 'super', IBF, IBO and WBO - 12 rounds
  • Filip Hrgovic vs Zhilei Zhang (9.52pm) - IBF heavyweight final eliminator - 12 rounds
  • Callum Smith vs Mathieu Bauderlique (8.50pm) - WBC light-heavyweight final eliminator - 12 rounds
  • Badou Jack vs Richard Rivera (7.18pm) - cruiserweight - 10 rounds
  • Ziyad Almaayouf vs Jose Alatorre (6.48pm) - super-lightweight - 4 rounds
  • Ramla Ali vs Crystal Garcia Nova (6.10pm) - super-bantamweight - 8 rounds
  • Andrew Tabiti vs James Wilson (5.24pm) - heavyweight - 8 rounds
  • Ben Whittaker vs Peter Nosic (4.46pm) - light-heavyweight - 6 rounds
  • Daniel Lapin vs Josef Jurko (4.03pm) - heavyweight - 8 rounds
  • Bader Alsamreen vs Faud Tarverdi (3.30pm) - super lightweight - 6 rounds
  • Rashed Belhassa aka Money Kicks vs Traycho Georgiev (3pm) - welterweight - 4 rounds

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Olympic silver medallist Ben Whittaker takes a 6 round UD over his opponent improving to 2-0. Not behind the pay wall so plenty of exposure for him. He boxed well and made good use of his physical advantages, after his debut he was calling out British champion Dan Azeez, tonight he didn't call out anybody (not yet anyway). I like the kid I hope he goes on to do great things in the division

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Jack vs Rivera the best of the fights so far imo, Rivera livid at the judges, I didn't score it but was very entertained, I don't have a problem with the outcome myself, I thought Badou took over after a slow start but before the bell I expected him to wipe Rivera out like a prime Jack would have. At this point he's slipping into journeyman status, Danny Williams style. If he called it a day now he could look back with pride on a great career

1 - 20 of 42 Posts