Boxing Forums banner

Repeat or Revenge?

21 - 40 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's fight week and the bookmakers have spoken, the defending champion is the 1/2 favourite to retain the world heavyweight crown in Jeddah on Saturday. You can get Anthony Joshua by any means at 7/4 or if you fancy the draw they'll give you odds of 20.

Anthony Joshua sat down with Sky Sports this week and confirmed that the winner on Saturday night cannot call themselves the best in the world unless they also beat Tyson Fury (except if Fury is retired for good).

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just watching the open workouts and noticed that DAZN don't have anything at all on the advertising space in the ring. Sky Sports do but no DAZN, aren't DAZN the worldwide broadcasters (minus Ukraine)? I can't get on the DAZN US website it keeps automatically diverting me to my home site, I just wanted to see if it's on PPV over there too, does anybody know or mind checking if you're in the US and have DAZN?

I forgot I had a late shift booked for this Saturday, I've cancelled it now obviously, no chance I miss this, I'm watching the whole of this one and it has to be live.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
So in your opinion it is all over for AJ. He loses to Usyk again and then quits.
I'm saying there is about a 75% chance that is the outcome. Given the general hatred for AJ round here I presume the rest of you think that is optimistic. Usyk is extremely good technically and assuming that the extra weight doesn't overally effect his mobility (I think that is unlikely) and I would expect him to dominate the division till he retires, there is no way Joyce, Dubois or Hrgovic are going to realistically challenge him for the title and if he fights Wilder he will embarrass him so completely it will be unreal. If AJ does win obviously it will be interesting to see if Fury's 37th retirement sticks, I still think that fight isn't guaranteed to be made even if Fury would unretire as I pretty sure Fury's arrogance means he will only accept extremely preferential terms (at least 70/30 with Name first and Walk second etc) and I'm not sure that AJ would want to give that up (quite rightly given he would have 4 of the 5 belts going in).

·
Registered
2,904 Posts

"I’m not thinking about retirement,’ Joshua said.

"People will always ask questions. But I still want to continue. I love it. I’m competing with pound-for-pound fighters. If I was losing to some has-been, then, yes.

"But it’s crazy to talk about retiring when I lost to one of the best fighters in the world. What sort of nonsense is that? I respect people’s opinions, but I don’t want to retire."

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
This doesn't mean anything a fighter's mindset before a fight is 100% on their belief they can win the fight. I would absolutely expect the comments above before the fight even if he retires after.
Listen to the question. Then listen to the answer. You are adding context that isn't there.

Forget your narrative for a minute and pay attention to what is actually said.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Listen to the question. Then listen to the answer. You are adding context that isn't there.

Forget your narrative for a minute and pay attention to what is actually said.
You are just being a cretin if you cant see that his entire mindset and views are based on his 100% ironclad belief he is going to win, if that goes so will everything he has said while he believed that, same with every sportsman.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Fight Week Trivia: (I'll 'like' the first correct answer)
Q - Besides having their father's name, what do Andy Ruiz Jr, Teofimo Lopez Jr and George Kambosos Jr have in common?

21 - 40 of 324 Posts