Boxing Forums banner

Usyk vs. Joshua II Winner and How?

• Anthony Joshua Decision

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
I expect about the same. AJ has improved a lot in recent years, but I think he's reached his limit re movement and reflexes.

The only difference will be that this time, Fast Eddie will make sure the judges give AJ the decision.

- Thus setting up the lucrative trilogy, and at the same time, keeping AJ far away from both Wilder and Fury.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
The other thing is, in a rematch it's almost not as important as he wins, but that he at least gives a better account of himself, if in a rematch he wins 5 rounds to usyks 7 and doesn't get rocked half to death in the 12th round that's a good improvement and it would increase his respect and marketability, just to run Usyk close.

Im not sure if he can beat Usyk but I do think he can at least improve enough to put in a more respectable performance, and if he does that it'll be looked at more as a style that's just wrong for AJ rather than where he is now which is a laughing stock.
All he has to do in the rematch is let his hands go a lot, and stay on his feet for 12 rounds. He doesn't even have to land anything, just make a show of it, so the commentators & judges can pretend he was landing and give him the decision.

Then Fast Eddie sets up the lucrative trilogy, and the whole 3-ring circus comes to town.

Send in the fricking clowns.......

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
Not saying it's fool proof. Just that if it was the only thing I had to go on I would be pick Usyk because he is in command in that picture.
I must admit, in that pic, AJ looks like "OK, be cool, don't let him see you sweat!"
While Usyk looks like "Silly muscle man, I am going to eat your children ! (and then I will be feel. Very feel.) "

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
He was quite emphatic at the beginning he isn't but by the end you wondered how many people you had actually listened to there. As usual he tried to sound clever by quoting other people and only showed he didn't really understand what those other people were really talking about and only succeeded in confusing himself.

Robots can only repeat pre-programmed sentences and ideas.

They cannot actually reason.

(Exactly the same as when they face an opponent in the ring: No ability to adapt and change tactics.)

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
"I think people still recognize me as champion, even though I haven't got the belts round my waist." - Anthony Joshua

No Anthony they don't. But perhaps the yes men you surround yourself with are telling you that? All the more reason for you to get rid of them.

A lot of us never even recognized him as champion after he "won" his Olympic gold medal.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
I dunno how a 50/50 fight would be perfect for AJ given he has a world title fight next assuming he wins.
That's a fair point, if only thinking about dollars.

- But AJ is rich enough. He doesn't need a guaranteed huge payday. What he needs is
1: A tough-but-winnable fight that might actually teach him something, and
2: A win over a serious opponent, to gain some confidence back.

Wallin is much better than many fans give him credit for, and is the perfect choice for AJ.
He'd also make a GREAT opponent for Usyk (from the fans' standpoint) as he has much better defense than AJ as in much more mobile. Plus, if he managed to get past AJ, then he would be an even better fighter, once facing Usyk.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
Usyk all the way.

I'm surprised he didn't put on much weight since the last fight, but that probably means he'll once again be fighting slick and evasive, which will once again wear AJ out.

Don't go by the Chisora fight. That was obviously Usyk testing the waters at HW, purposely engaging a little with a "reasonably safe" opponent, to see what it feels like to fight a guy that big. He's not going to do that against AJ.

Also, the only meaningful punches Chisora landed were body shots. So we know Usyk can take heavy blows, and also, AJ is not much of a body puncher. (IIRC)
I read that AJ has specifically been working on his body attack for this fight (probably Garcia's idea, based on the Chisora fight) but:
1: Body shots mostly work when thrown close. AJ will have a very hard time getting close.
2: Usyk being so much shorter will make it extra-hard for AJ to land body shots cleanly.
3: When a tall fighter throws body shots at a much smaller opponent, the tendency is to leave your chin exposed. Not a great gameplan againt the Ukrainian.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts