Boxing Forums banner

Usyk vs. Joshua II Winner and How?

• Anthony Joshua Decision

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I expect about the same. AJ has improved a lot in recent years, but I think he's reached his limit re movement and reflexes.

The only difference will be that this time, Fast Eddie will make sure the judges give AJ the decision.

- Thus setting up the lucrative trilogy, and at the same time, keeping AJ far away from both Wilder and Fury.
In what Universe would AJ be fighting Wilder or Fury? Whoever wins fight 3 wants Usyk for Undisputed and I doubt the fight between two losers has as any more appeal than the World cup 3rd place playoff.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Was just thinking if AJ's eye socket is broken, then the rematch might not be able to happen inside the contractual date and that will retire AJ anyway. If AJ tried to fight on without the belts, the absolute best case scenario is becoming another Whyte, beating good fighters but permanently Frozen out from any title fight.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Surely Usyk as champion could control Location? I'd be surprised if he allowed a UK fight, Ruiz didn't. Feb/March is exactly when I expected, allows AJ the chance to have a nice summer holiday to start his retirement after the fight.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

Really hope AJ isn't stupid enough to fall for this. If he took it, that would be it, he would never get another world title shot. He should have learned how Fury and Arum fucked him on the Saudi fight that they will never fight him and while I trust Usyk a little more thats not saying much. The rematch is his last chance saloon and he is a massive underdog but he still has a shot, stand aside and they will fuck him over forever just like they have done to Whyte.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hearn claims the fight isn't under threat. Not sure he is in a position to assure anyone of that
No I think no one could hope to be confident. I would suggest that the governing bodies assign him "Champion in Recess" if he has gone back to the Ukraine as he will be unlikely to fight in 2022. Then AJ could fight Joyce/Ortiz/Dubois for the titles until Usyk returns to active status for the rematch. Seems like the only fair solution, will be hard to stop the titles fragmenting tho and if they don't it'll be harsh on AJ not being able to fight as I'm guessing the rematch contract is conditional on that being his next fight. If they do fragment or AJ isn't given the shot to regain the unified, I suspect he'll retire given there will be little chance of any new titleholder giving him another shot (well on any reasonable terms).

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Shows how low the opinion of AJ is now that anyone things that is a 50/50 fight.
I dunno how a 50/50 fight would be perfect for AJ given he has a world title fight next assuming he wins.

It looks like Usyk is going into camp anyway so the rematch will likely be in June anyway. I have to admit I'm not confident that AJ has done anything to improve his chances, it has seemed very unfocused to be honest but hopefully at very least he wont try and outbox him and go for the stoppage in the first half and if it fails at least he gave it a shot.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
That's a fair point, if only thinking about dollars.

- But AJ is rich enough. He doesn't need a guaranteed huge payday. What he needs is
1: A tough-but-winnable fight that might actually teach him something, and
2: A win over a serious opponent, to gain some confidence back.

Wallin is much better than many fans give him credit for, and is the perfect choice for AJ.
He'd also make a GREAT opponent for Usyk (from the fans' standpoint) as he has much better defense than AJ as in much more mobile. Plus, if he managed to get past AJ, then he would be an even better fighter, once facing Usyk.
I agree AJ doesn't need the Payday but if he was going to need an interim fight (which looks unlikely now) he should surely be picking at least a 80% win fight? Otherwise he is risking his only remaining shot at the World titles. I know he wouldn't want to go Tomato can but while he will get stick from the haters (they would have complained whatever anyway) risking his last shot to regain the titles by fighting anyone decent is just stupid.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Oleksandr Usyk has ensured the Anthony Joshua rematch will be free to watch for everyone in Ukraine. Usyk tried to buy the TV rights for Ukraine but the Saudis decided to gift them to him. Usyk really is an outstanding individual.
While it's a lovely Idea surely this will be pretty hard to stop anyone with a VPN from watching for free and Tanking Sky's PPV sales?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts