Boxing Forums banner

Pacquiao could have parkinsons??? *news article inside*

742 views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  w;dkm ckeqfjq c 
#1 · (Edited)
source:
http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/186663.html#iSSIDWPWvX64X33F.99

The possibility of retirement for Manny Pacquiao was raised on Thursday after neurologist Dr Rustico Jimenez speculated as to whether the Filipino was showing the first signs of Parkinson's.

According to reports Jimenez, president of the Private Hospitals Association of the Philippines, said he was concerned about the health of the fighter, who suffered a brutal knockout at the hands of Juan Manuel Marquez at the end of 2012.

Parkinson's disease is a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system, which affects Pacquiao's world renowned coach Freddie Roach. Dr Jimenez is concerned he can see the first signs now creeping into the physiology of the 34-year-old welterweight.

"Even though his reflexes are quick, I noticed the movement - it's just another view, my personal view - but it seems like there are early signs," Jimenez told radio dzMM.

"There are some movements that you will notice with his hands. It's in the hands, and not the head, where you can easily see this. It twitches a little bit. Although I haven't seen it up close, I think I am seeing that there are some signs."

Jimenez later clarified that he had never treated Pacquiao, so his opinion was only a view from afar. Nevertheless, he still offered his best advice, which is to give up boxing for the good of his long-term health.

Pacquiao is yet to clarify what the future holds, after he suffered back-to-back defeats for the first time in his illustrious career. It is speculated he may return for a make-or-break fight in September 2013, but no official word has come from the Pacquiao camp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

think the dr is abit out of order to make these claims without even taking a proper look at manny...

See less See more
#3 ·
I saw this yesterday but the problem is, its fucking stupid to diagnose someone of watching some footage on TV. I mean by all means send him for some neurological tests and all, we don't want to see him risk his health if there's something underlying but at least wait till some medical procedures are done before jumping the gun.

Sometimes when I've had a massive drink i get shaky hands the next day and i'm alright.

#4 ·
I saw this yesterday but the problem is, its fucking stupid to diagnose someone of watching some footage on TV. I mean by all means send him for some neurological tests and all, we don't want to see him risk his health if there's something underlying but at least wait till some medical procedures are done before jumping the gun.

Sometimes when I've had a massive drink i get shaky hands the next day and i'm alright.
im sure they would of done tests on him, if he does have signs of any neurological disorder they would take his license... or maybe they just do annual checks, was it jamie moore who showed a slight change in his brain scan and gave up???

#5 ·
im sure they would of done tests on him, if he does have signs of any neurological disorder they would take his license... or maybe they just do annual checks, was it jamie moore who showed a slight change in his brain scan and gave up???
Yeah there has been a few. Moore packed it in but has constantly been rumoured to make a come back since. A lad from up here called Kirk Goodings failed his brain scan before he turned over and had to wait several months and shell out to do another test before he could turn.

Didn't Holy fail one as well, might have been his heart though.

#6 ·
Yeah there has been a few. Moore packed it in but has constantly been rumoured to make a come back since. A lad from up here called Kirk Goodings failed his brain scan before he turned over and had to wait several months and shell out to do another test before he could turn.

Didn't Holy fail one as well, might have been his heart though.
yeah i know jamie moore kept hinting at return, hes always training with the gyms on that section on 'ringside' haha acts like hes not in shape!

god knows how holyfield passes his medical, he can hardly speak now

#14 ·
Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=61145#ixzz2HD4IytBk
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

Eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao is contemplating legal action against the neurologist who claimed the fighter had shown early signs of Parkinson's disease.

Pacquiao's adviser Michael Koncz responded to a query from BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard after neurologist and president of the Private Hospitals Association of the Philippines, Dr. Rustico Jimenez, claimed that he had noticed Pacquiao's hand twitching and stuttering from watching him on television.

Dr. Jimenez conceded he could be wrong in his observations since he had not personally examined Pacquiao but went on to urge the national sports hero to follow the pleas of many others including his wife Jinkee and his mother Dionisia to hang up his gloves following his crushing sixth round knockout by Juan Manuel Marquez last December 8.

Koncz said "what is the name of this alleged well known doctor as we are contemplating a civil suit for merit-less and unfounded accusations."

He said "tell me how can one make such allegations based on mere speculation as I am not aware that this alleged doctor ever examined Manny yet he makes such a diagnosis" adding "its amazing what people will do to get media coverage. Anyway I am done responding to this ludicrous diagnosis and we shall quietly enjoy our remaining time in Israel."

However, a longtime friend and sometime confidant of Pacquiao, promoter and boxing manager Rex "Wakee" Salud, said the doctor "is entitled to his opinion because after all he is a neurologist who knows, even as others are also entitled to their opinion." However, Salud maintained he personally "didn't notice any signs of twitching or stammering."

Salud, just like Dr. Jimenez, supported an earlier suggestion by Top Rank promoter Bob Arum in an interview with the Standard after the crushing 6th round knockout by Marquez that Pacquiao should have a thorough brain evaluation at the world famous Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Brain Center in Las Vegas.

Salud also said he supported the position that Pacquiao should retire because "he has achieved everything and nobody can equal what he has done." He emphasized that "the people want him to retire are those who really care for him."

Dr. Jimenez urged Pacquiao to undergo a battery of tests in the US just to make sure. He said there are several neurological centers in the US where he could undergo tests such as PET Scans and the like. The neurologist noted there are chemical tests that could be undertaken which are "very complicated and not available here" in the Philippines.

Both the Nevada State Athletic Commission and Filipino doctors have cleared Pacquiao following tests conducted after the Marquez fight but because of head traumas suffered over 17 years of boxing against such big and strong fighters as Miguel Cotto, Oscar De La Hoya, Antonio Margarito and his three fights against Erik "El Terrible" Morales and two fights with Marco Antonio Barrera.

Dr. Jimenez stressed "we don't want him wheelchair bound. Parkinson's is a progressive disease, once it hits it will continue and we don't want that to happen to our source of national pride."

His unsolicited advise from a doctor's viewpoint is "it would be best if he retires because the more blows to the head he gets, the bigger the chance of getting the disease."

#15 ·
Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=61145#ixzz2HD4IytBk
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

Eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao is contemplating legal action against the neurologist who claimed the fighter had shown early signs of Parkinson's disease.

Pacquiao's adviser Michael Koncz responded to a query from BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard after neurologist and president of the Private Hospitals Association of the Philippines, Dr. Rustico Jimenez, claimed that he had noticed Pacquiao's hand twitching and stuttering from watching him on television.

Dr. Jimenez conceded he could be wrong in his observations since he had not personally examined Pacquiao but went on to urge the national sports hero to follow the pleas of many others including his wife Jinkee and his mother Dionisia to hang up his gloves following his crushing sixth round knockout by Juan Manuel Marquez last December 8.

Koncz said "what is the name of this alleged well known doctor as we are contemplating a civil suit for merit-less and unfounded accusations."

He said "tell me how can one make such allegations based on mere speculation as I am not aware that this alleged doctor ever examined Manny yet he makes such a diagnosis" adding "its amazing what people will do to get media coverage. Anyway I am done responding to this ludicrous diagnosis and we shall quietly enjoy our remaining time in Israel."

However, a longtime friend and sometime confidant of Pacquiao, promoter and boxing manager Rex "Wakee" Salud, said the doctor "is entitled to his opinion because after all he is a neurologist who knows, even as others are also entitled to their opinion." However, Salud maintained he personally "didn't notice any signs of twitching or stammering."

Salud, just like Dr. Jimenez, supported an earlier suggestion by Top Rank promoter Bob Arum in an interview with the Standard after the crushing 6th round knockout by Marquez that Pacquiao should have a thorough brain evaluation at the world famous Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Brain Center in Las Vegas.

Salud also said he supported the position that Pacquiao should retire because "he has achieved everything and nobody can equal what he has done." He emphasized that "the people want him to retire are those who really care for him."

Dr. Jimenez urged Pacquiao to undergo a battery of tests in the US just to make sure. He said there are several neurological centers in the US where he could undergo tests such as PET Scans and the like. The neurologist noted there are chemical tests that could be undertaken which are "very complicated and not available here" in the Philippines.

Both the Nevada State Athletic Commission and Filipino doctors have cleared Pacquiao following tests conducted after the Marquez fight but because of head traumas suffered over 17 years of boxing against such big and strong fighters as Miguel Cotto, Oscar De La Hoya, Antonio Margarito and his three fights against Erik "El Terrible" Morales and two fights with Marco Antonio Barrera.

Dr. Jimenez stressed "we don't want him wheelchair bound. Parkinson's is a progressive disease, once it hits it will continue and we don't want that to happen to our source of national pride."

His unsolicited advise from a doctor's viewpoint is "it would be best if he retires because the more blows to the head he gets, the bigger the chance of getting the disease."
i dont blame manny, dude was wild making these claims...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.