Boxing Forums banner

What are the odds Fury-Whyte will happen?

• 100% it will happen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70/30 it will happen

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 50/50 it will happen

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Probably won't happen

Votes: 3 50.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
delivering the truth
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The split nominated by the WBC is 80% to Fury and 20% to Whyte.

Whyte also has pending legal action against the WBC.

What are the odds Fury-Whyte will actually happen?

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
70/30 or better.

Whyte probably would prefer a rematch with AJ, but that means a long wait. Plus AJ will likely have three losses by the time that could happen.
What other big money fights are there? Certainly not Wilder, who would murder him.

Many of us want to see Fury vs Fat Andy, but I suspect that will never happen as Uncle Al probably wants to feed Andy to Wilder, keeping it all in the family.

The guy really calling the shots has to be Fury, so who does HE really want to fight next? It obviously can't be AJ or Usyk, and if he wants an eventual showdown with the AJ-Usyk winner, then he can't take a chance on any of the very dangerous young contenders, so Whyte is the obvious choice.

Personally, I'd love to see Fury take the piss and give Otto Wallin a shot, just for laughs, but I'm not holding my breath. 🙂

·
delivering the truth
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
70/30 or better.

Whyte probably would prefer a rematch with AJ, but that means a long wait. Plus AJ will likely have three losses by the time that could happen.
What other big money fights are there? Certainly not Wilder, who would murder him.

Many of us want to see Fury vs Fat Andy, but I suspect that will never happen as Uncle Al probably wants to feed Andy to Wilder, keeping it all in the family.

The guy really calling the shots has to be Fury, so who does HE really want to fight next? It obviously can't be AJ or Usyk, and if he wants an eventual showdown with the AJ-Usyk winner, then he can't take a chance on any of the very dangerous young contenders, so .....

Personally, I'd love to see Fury take the piss and give Otto Wallin a shot, just for laughs, but I'm not holding my breath. 🙂
There's no doubt Fury is calling the shots. The question now is whether Whyte backs himself and goes ahead with the fight. If he doesn't I think the WBC will stamp his file and he will need to aim to get a shot at another title. That will be difficult when Usyk holds all the others and is headed for a fight with Fury for all the belts.

This might even be Whyte's last chance at a title fight.

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
I'm trying to think of a good reason why Whyte would want to sabatoge this fight, at this point in time.

He has to know that the offered percentage is firm.
He has to know that he could never even come close to that much income again, even if he fought ten lesser-ranked fighters before retiring.
He has to know that if he backs out of this fight, no promotor is likely to take a chance on him again with a title bout.

He also he has to know that the entire boxing world is laughing at him for his pathetic ducking of Wallin, so he needs a ballsy fight in order to win back some tiny shred of his reputation.

So ......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts