17901 - 17920 of 17957 Posts

·
The World's Great Lover
34,041 Posts

·
Bosomus Maximus
8,043 Posts
Vince isn't booking anything. Lol This is hhh and steph
I think you're right. (Sorry for the long reply, but it's distraction from the bone spurs in my neck giving me chronic headaches.) Vince's now outlived his father by seven years (pancreatic cancer), his grandfather Jess by four years (cerebral hemorrhage), and his older brother Rod died in January at 77. Vinnie K. turned 76 last month, making him the second oldest McMahon male in their recorded family tree, and he was a long time steroid user. While I'm sure his health is monitored closely, genetics are genetics. He can't afford to have WWE dependent on him at this stage of his life. (Former NWA competitor Jim Crockett, Jr. also died at 76 in March, the same age his predecessor, NWA cofounding father Sam Muchnick retired at in 1982.)

VKM's mother Vicky remains alive at 101 and his paternal grandmother Rose (Jess McMahon's first wife) reached 106, but aside from being females, they obviously didn't abuse their bodies with steroids like VKM either. Vince (who looks like his father and grandfather) doesn't have time to waste. (Nor is this boxing, where promoters can enjoy far greater longevity than with pro wrestling, as Bob Arum or Don King have demonstrated.)

Tony Khan has youth (age 36) going for him with AEW over HHH (already hospitalized at 52 with a congenital heart condition on September 8th), Steph (45) and Shane (51), being about the same age VKM was when he bought Capitol Wrestling Corporation from his ailing father in 1982. I share much of Cornette's misgivings about AEW, and am horrified by all the injuries and botches, but can't overlook their owner's youth and deep pockets, especially with live audience feedback returning to help provide guidance for how to book their product and talent. Kahn has the financial resources and youth to tune up and fix AEW. (He can start by reading how WCW collapsed, including a review of PW Torch articles Wade Keller published on WCW from the late 1990's until WWE bought them out as I was back then, before doing the exact opposite. Keller and company were describing what WCW should do and accurately predicted much of what happened when they didn't. And I liken AEW putting the "women's" belt on Tranny DeGroats to WCW placing theirs on David Arquette. LBGTQ "rights" be damned, they put lipstick on a pig and called it a "woman," because Brandon DeGroats, an actor like Arquette, couldn't get over as a male wrestling champion at his age. That was AEW's concession that they don't have the depth to field a women's division yet. To inaugurate a 97 pound joshi schoolgirl fetish toothpick as their first champion, then hand that belt to a 185/385 pound tranny is so demeaning to that title's prestige that even the competent Shida couldn't fully redeem it.

COVID has sidetracked AEW severely without that live fan response. If Kahn can fully collaborate with Billy Corgan to restore the NWA name to national then world wide prominence, the Fed may again have viable competition. (As it is, WWE doesn't seem to realize how far along NJPW would be with its AEW, ROH and Impact collaborations now if it wasn't for COVID. If those four promotions affiliate with Corgan's NWA, then it's a new sort of NWA consortium which Vince is simply too old to concern himself with. I'm suggesting new titles shared amongst all five companies as a long term objective, an updated cooperative from the 1948 NWA model.

Once again, genetics are genetics. Despite being a health oriented vegan who didn't drink or smoke, HHH mentor Killer Kowalski only lived to be 81, just two years longer than his mother and three years more than his father. (Aerobics creator Ken Cooper seems to be the only health and fitness authority who most seems to have significantly extended his natural lifespan past that of his periodontist father, who passed at 77 while Cooper remains active at 90. Cooper was also quoted as saying he never jogged more than three miles a day for his own aerobic regimen, and has led research into how too much exercise causes terminal heart disease and various cancers along with crippling joint damage. The Greeks were right about moderation, but Vince has never had that quality.)

·
$800 undisputed LHW champ
9,296 Posts

·
The World's Great Lover
34,041 Posts
Damn shane looks just like his dad. Lol.
Ita hhh and steph's show, apparently shane is a kid who always wasnt and isnt afraid to call vince out a seriously disagree

·
9,296 Posts

Gable Steveson skipping NXT altogether

·
Registered
345 Posts
You never know I guess, but the chances of another gold medalist being at the level of Kurt Angle are pretty damn small.
Yeah I would be surprised if he's that.

WWE are in trouble right now though, to me they seem to only have one iron in the fire which is Rock vs Reigns at mania, which will be huge, but what's after that?

They stale AF and vince is so slow to react these days, it's shocking to me he let Danielson main event a wrestlemania when his contract was almost up, instead of just chucking AJ styles or someone on a longer contract in there, allowing AEW to literally sign a guy who main evented the last wrestlemania, shocking bit of business that.

·
Registered
22,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17,911 ·
Yeah I would be surprised if he's that.

WWE are in trouble right now though, to me they seem to only have one iron in the fire which is Rock vs Reigns at mania, which will be huge, but what's after that?

They stale AF and vince is so slow to react these days, it's shocking to me he let Danielson main event a wrestlemania when his contract was almost up, instead of just chucking AJ styles or someone on a longer contract in there, allowing AEW to literally sign a guy who main evented the last wrestlemania, shocking bit of business that.
I don't think he believed that Danielson would leave for AEW.

Rock vs Reigns is going to be a terrible match, but I can only imagine the pop it gets.

AEW has great momentum, but I imagine they will let it spoil by overthinking it. I'm only watching AEW at the moment, and they've got 3 pretty big issues with the product. That said, I'm enjoying it far more than not.

·
The World's Great Lover
34,041 Posts
Never thought I would see Vince hand over the reigns totally to a suit and prep the WWE for sale to a corporate owner.
AEW is like a carny revival, but mark carnies, not the real ones who only cared about making a dime.

·
Bosomus Maximus
8,043 Posts
You never know I guess, but the chances of another gold medalist being at the level of Kurt Angle are pretty damn small.
Particularly with Olympic wrestling still on life support. WWE desperately tried to lure Rulon Gardner into their business after Gardner shockingly won Greco-Roman gold at Sydney over the seemingly invincible Karelin. So even if there is another gold medalist at the level of Angle and Gardner, there's no guarantee they'll be interested in pro wrestling entertainment. Gable Steveson grew up a WWE fan, but others who won Olympic gold have been pro fans, yet didn't enter the business.

Angle paid a high price in injuries very quickly after joining WWE, where in past eras with his style of performing he might have been expected to last at least 30 years before retiring. He was finished in just 18 years, the same time span Jerry Lawler was at it when he took the AWA belt. (Lawler's now been at it for over half a century, starting before Angle's second birthday. Lawler's AWA successor Larry Zbyszko got that belt after 16 years in the business, although the AWA died during his tenure, despite a national contract with ESPN. Bob Backlund and Curt Hennig may have been the only two who got major straps for extended runs before turning 30 during the 1970's and 1980's.)

·
The World's Great Lover
34,041 Posts
What makes you sure that is what's happening?
The vince thing?
Everything ive heard is vince is prepping to sale by extremely cutting cost and handing management to nick khan. Rushing guys up with little prep isnt really vinces style, especially doing so without a real strong gimmick behind them. You add that and the cuts and the pumping unproven and undevelooed it seems like vince has let go. Imho

·
Registered
22,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17,916 ·
The vince thing?
Everything ive heard is vince is prepping to sale by extremely cutting cost and handing management to nick khan. Rushing guys up with little prep isnt really vinces style, especially doing so without a real strong gimmick behind them. You add that and the cuts and the pumping unproven and undevelooed it seems like vince has let go. Imho
I dunno. He took NXT away from HHH and took control of it, and he entered (and won) a serious bidding war for an unproven prospect in Gable Stevenson.

I think Vince has allowed all of the good voices he had around him to go away, and he's getting older and making bad decisions.

·
The World's Great Lover
34,041 Posts
I dunno. He took NXT away from HHH and took control of it, and he entered (and won) a serious bidding war for an unproven prospect in Gable Stevenson.

I think Vince has allowed all of the good voices he had around him to go away, and he's getting older and making bad decisions.
That could be true, but then again if i remember correctly Cornette, Konnan and Pritchard said NXT at its best was never HHH, but was unofficially Dusty and Dutch Mantell. HHH was removed after they were pushed out because he simply wasn't able to produce on his own.

Either way though, it seems clear now that Nick Kahn is running the show and is the voice that Vince trusts to get him what he wants.

·
9,296 Posts
I agree with Bama, I think Vince is selling to either NBC or FOX for like a $100 billion

·
9,296 Posts
17901 - 17920 of 17957 Posts