Boxing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Honestly it seemed like a dumb move to take the fight at 205. He wasn't going to make that weight without zombifying himself.
So if you know that then surely he did too and so why sign to fight in the first place? Good grief, what a waste of everyone's time. First Fury now Rahman Jr although Rahman Jr is bizzarely claiming that it's Paul who doesn't want to fight because he won't accept a week before the fight that he can't make 205lbs and wants it at 215lbs now but Team Paul say this was his plan all along so they're cancelling it rather than be swindled.

I went from negative to neutral on Paul after Fury pulled out and then he found another pro boxer to fight in Rahman Jr and this was going to be the first time I would watch the fight build up and then his fight in full, I was looking forward to it and enjoyed the press conference, hopefully he finds a different boxer to fight soon although if I'm not mistaken so far the only opponents to withdraw from fighting him in his fledgling career are those we would classify as being "real" boxers, that's not good news at all.

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
So Rahman jr weighed 215 this weekend, but he had 5 days to cut 10lbs to weigh in at 205 on Friday? Which even WW's do easily so why are they cancelling it now why not wait to see how much he comes in at on Friday?

Seems like Jake put a weight restriction 1 week out

If Rahman Jr weighed in at 205 he was always going to hydrate back at least 10lbs so him being at 215 is perfect 1 week out

·
The World's Great Lover
34,210 Posts
You shouldn’t have to cut weight if you’re a heavyweight boxer..
True but this was a cruiserweight fight.
Rahman Jr. Had no intention of honoring his contract. I would ha e had a replacement ready to call up, but rahman was totally unprofessional and i eould sue him for costing me the card

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Getting a fighter to lose that much in such a short space is downright dangerous in the first place.

Historically fighters coming down weight divisions have not done too well. From Chris Byrd to Chad Dawson to name just two who were shells of themselves. And they had full training camps.

There is plenty of research about fighters who lose too much weight in a short period depleting fluid in the brain and being more susceptible too brain injury. I remember reading an article about this when the British Featherweight champ Paul Ingle suffered a brain injury that was 20 or so years and from what I recall the article also mentioned Gerald Mclellan losing too much weight from 200lbs ( in a short space of time to make 168lbs in his infamous fight with Nigel Benn.

I think the sport of boxing dodged a bullet here.

To expect a fighter to lose 30lbs in less then thirty days is downright irresponsible. All those involved in this saga should be ashamed of themselves.

If the fight had gone ahead there is a very high possibility that Rahman Jr may have suffered a serious brain injury or worse.

Back in 2019 Boxer Danny O Connor nearly died in trying to lose those few extra pounds to make 140lb weight limit. And had to be rushed an intensive care unit. Read the article Bob Arum Slams O'Connor's Trainers: They Almost Killed This Kid!

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
Getting a fighter to lose that much in such a short space is downright dangerous in the first place.

Historically fighters coming down weight divisions have not done too well. From Chris Byrd to Chad Dawson to name just two who were shells of themselves. And they had full training camps.

There is plenty of research about fighters who lose too much weight in a short period depleting fluid in the brain and being more susceptible too brain injury. I remember reading an article about this when the British Featherweight champ Paul Ingle suffered a brain injury that was 20 or so years and from what I recall the article also mentioned Gerald Mclellan losing too much weight from 200lbs ( in a short space of time to make 168lbs in his infamous fight with Nigel Benn.

I think the sport of boxing dodged a bullet here.

To expect a fighter to lose 30lbs in less then thirty days is downright irresponsible. All those involved in this saga should be ashamed of themselves.

If the fight had gone ahead there is a very high possibility that Rahman Jr may have suffered a serious brain injury or worse.

Back in 2019 Boxer Danny O Connor nearly died in trying to lose those few extra pounds to make 140lb weight limit. And had to be rushed an intensive care unit. Read the article Bob Arum Slams O'Connor's Trainers: They Almost Killed This Kid!
But Rahman Jr was only 10lbs out with 1 week to go, when does a fight get cancelled 1 week before? Why was he even weighing 1 week before apparently he had to weigh twice, he should have just drained the last few days he might have made 206-208 then they could have let it carry in

Never heard a fight cancelled one week before because the fighter didnt make weight very weird

·
The Anti-Bully
13,579 Posts
So Rahman jr weighed 215 this weekend, but he had 5 days to cut 10lbs to weigh in at 205 on Friday? Which even WW's do easily so why are they cancelling it now why not wait to see how much he comes in at on Friday?

Seems like Jake put a weight restriction 1 week out

If Rahman Jr weighed in at 205 he was always going to hydrate back at least 10lbs so him being at 215 is perfect 1 week out
He also has a rehydration clause so needs to weigh 205 on fight night.

He was never going to make it.

Reactions: DobyZhee

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
This is looking quite bad on Jake, the weight limit was 205lbs and a 25% purse fine for every lb over, Rahman weighed in at 206.6 even when there was no fight scheduled so he could have probably made 206lbs and took a 25% purse fine

Why was the 25% purse fine even in the contract for every lb over but they cancelled the fight 1 week before and Rahman was under 2lbs over doesn't really make sense to cancel it, they knew Rahman would rehydrate back to 215lbs and have a big weight advantage

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is looking quite bad on Jake, the weight limit was 205lbs and a 25% purse fine for every lb over, Rahman weighed in at 206.6 even when there was no fight scheduled so he could have probably made 206lbs and took a 25% purse fine

Why was the 25% purse fine even in the contract for every lb over but they cancelled the fight 1 week before and Rahman was under 2lbs over doesn't really make sense to cancel it, they knew Rahman would rehydrate back to 215lbs and have a big weight advantage

The thing is...he wouldn't have been allowed to rehydrate.

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
The thing is...he wouldn't have been allowed to rehydrate.
I read he was allowed to weigh 215lbs in the morning and weigh in whatever he wants on the fight so seems like everything was in Rahmans favour, take a 25% purse cut and come in heavy on the night and try and win by KO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts