Boxing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I hope Ruiz jr wins to setup a fight with Wilder next year. Certainly don’t need a Wilder vs Ortiz trilogy.

I think Ruiz jr has been mismanaged he has been given one fight in 3 years. Guy like Ruiz jr needs to be kept active. They could have brought him over to the U.K. and capitalised on his fame here and had him knockover a few tomatoe cans in England.

Looking at one of his interviews seems to gone through some sort of depression.

I will go with Ortiz purely based on his discipline and determination. Although with no degree of certainty.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
It really does depend on which version of Ruiz turns up, doesn't it? The Ruiz of Joshua I wins. The Ruiz of Joshua II could lose.

I too hope Ruiz wins and sets up Ruiz-Wilder. Could be one of the more interesting heavyweight fights while it lasts.
Strange guy is Andy Ruiz jr. Hard to believe he is a former gang banger. Must have been the politest gang banger ever.

Even when saying something negative about other fighters or picking against them he is very polite about it. He is a likeable kid hope he can get himself together.

One thing there is no doubt about is what kind of mindset and shape Ortiz will be turning up in. Whatever his flaws he is a professional.

As for Andy no pun intended but he reminds me of the quote by Jim Rohn “ There are two kinds of pain in this world the pain of discipline and the pain of regret , discipline weighs ounces and regret weighs tons.”

His career seems destined to be one of regret.Then again I am not sure he likes boxing that much either. Probably just does it cus he discovered was good at it and for the money.

Reactions: Philly Shell

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I have never managed to work him out either. He is likeable and moves amazingly for a fat guy but the money he earned for the two AJ fights might have killed his hunger for further success.
He has been battling with motivation for years he got a lot of interest in his sparring sessions with Holyfield as a teenager. Looked brilliant when at age of 22 he beat up the muscular and ripped 21-0 contender Joe Hanks. Top Rank invested in him and gave him backing. They even sent him to Big Bear to train with Abel Sanchez hoping the isolation would help him focus. That did’nt seem to work.

Sanchez gave up on him, Bob Arum gave up on him. A month before his lucky break when he got the fight with AJ he got evicted and was considering giving up boxing and going to work for his fathers construction company.

He just gives the air of the bullied fat kid who does not like hitting people but is forced to fight.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
This raises the question, is he an under achiever or an over achiever?

Perhaps the latter?

Based on how good he looked skill wise in his early 20’s he is an underachiever.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I just realized that Andy is no longer working with Eddie Reynoso, but instead has been training for this fight with Alfredo Asuna.

What do you guys make of that?

- I must admit, I have no idea who Asuna is. Oddly, he looks a lot like Angel Fernandez, the useless conman currently training AJ.

ကြည့်ရှုရန် လော့ဂ်အင်ဝင်ပါ သို့မဟုတ် အကောင့်ဖွင့်ပါ

Anthony Joshua Trainer Angel Fernandez On Loss To Oleksandr Usyk » Boxing Videos

- Weird.
Andy has been training with Osuna since March. He Said he needed one to one training and he was not getting that at Canelos gym. Because Reynoso is too busy with Canelo.

Ruiz also states he might work with Reynoso in the future and he has nothing bad to say about him or Canelo.

Reynoso has claimed Andy just stopped coming to the gym one day.

Ryan Garcia and Frank Sanchez have also left Reynosos gym citing the same reasons and hooked up with Joe Goosen.

In anycase Andy Ruiz jr just needs someone to motivate him to turn up to the gym. Alfredo Osuna whoever he is has been doing that abd atleast Ruiz jr looks in shape. Not too sure if its a bad thing leaving Reynoso Ruiz jr, did not look too good under him in the Arreola fight.

Andy probably should have gone with somebody more established as a trainer. We will find out if it was a good idea, to hire Osuna in his fight with Ortiz jr.

I checked Osunas face book page you are right appearance wise he looks exactly like Angel Fernandez. And nobody in the business has ever heard of him before.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Congrats to Andy Ruiz jr. Hopefully he will keep grinding at carry this momentum forward .

And huge respect to Ortiz to be competing at this level in his 40’s is a massive accomplishment in itself. Shame he got his start In the professional ranks too late.

Reactions: Okoye

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
At age 43, and they are not really sure about that age from what I remember, he should consider hanging up the gloves.

I can't see any title fights in his future with this loss to Ruiz and can only see him becoming a "gatekeeper" for younger fighters to cut their teeth on like so many other fighters have done over the years by hanging around too long.

Hopefully, he made enough money to make his life comfortable, but watching him do his entrance last night with the wife and young kids by his side, it's going to take a lot of money to keep them comfortable.
He should have made enough money to retire comfortably. Unfortunately 99% of boxers are not very good at holding on to money.

I presume he will carry on fighting as long as he is being paid good. I doubt to many promoters will be willing to put their young prospects in with him just yet. He is still too dangerous and a win over him won’t carry much credibility because of his age.

Reactions: gumbo2176
1 - 7 of 7 Posts