Boxing Forums banner

3rd time lucky?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Bad news for UK subscribers to DAZN, they've done a u-turn on a previous announcement and have decided that this trilogy will now be put on the PPV arm of the platform. You'll be able to purchase the fight from 29th August though I haven't heard an official word on the price though I've heard unofficially it'll be a tenner (which is less than the KSI PPV at the end of this month) but as it's on in the early hours here a tenner might well be right we'll see.

I saw the clip again today of Markovski saying it wouldn't be on PPV in the UK, there's outrage amongst many boxing fans and DAZN subscribers following the change of tune, many claim they're cancelling or have cancelled their subsrciptions already.

I've seen interviews with Hearn and Smith of Matchroom and both are going along the lines of 'what was true yesterday isn't always true today' basically using the 'things change' argument to explain this but it's diastrous for DAZN from a PR perspective but I don't think it's Matchroom staff who should be fielding the questions about this, where's Markovski?

·
Fighting the Fury loving Scum
1,605 Posts
DAZN have to be very careful, one of their key selling points was no PPV, then it was only for the absolutely biggest names but if they are going to let this PPV creep they are losing their selling point and don't have Sky's platform to fall back on to cross sell. Trying to charge a PPV price for a 4am fight in the UK is pretty risky given they are gonna earn pennies from this (I'll be surprised if they get 10k buys at that time) and a lot of bad PR from it. Sky are really on roll in terms of signing fighters and DAZN have committed to AJ when Sky have the exclusive rights to the last fight he could be relevant in. Matchroom's output is way down compared to last year and I would expect subscriber numbers to be dropping. To emphasise the point the only fight nights Matchroom have announced after tomorrows shows are two PPV shows. I could see this go south pretty quickly for both DAZN and Matchroom if they don't pull out something to prove they haven't become a less accessible and less attractive version of Sky Sports Boxing/ Box Office.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts