Boxing Forums banner

3rd time lucky?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Bad news for UK subscribers to DAZN, they've done a u-turn on a previous announcement and have decided that this trilogy will now be put on the PPV arm of the platform. You'll be able to purchase the fight from 29th August though I haven't heard an official word on the price though I've heard unofficially it'll be a tenner (which is less than the KSI PPV at the end of this month) but as it's on in the early hours here a tenner might well be right we'll see.

I saw the clip again today of Markovski saying it wouldn't be on PPV in the UK, there's outrage amongst many boxing fans and DAZN subscribers following the change of tune, many claim they're cancelling or have cancelled their subsrciptions already.

I've seen interviews with Hearn and Smith of Matchroom and both are going along the lines of 'what was true yesterday isn't always true today' basically using the 'things change' argument to explain this but it's diastrous for DAZN from a PR perspective but I don't think it's Matchroom staff who should be fielding the questions about this, where's Markovski?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
DAZN have to be very careful, one of their key selling points was no PPV, then it was only for the absolutely biggest names but if they are going to let this PPV creep they are losing their selling point and don't have Sky's platform to fall back on to cross sell. Trying to charge a PPV price for a 4am fight in the UK is pretty risky given they are gonna earn pennies from this (I'll be surprised if they get 10k buys at that time) and a lot of bad PR from it. Sky are really on roll in terms of signing fighters and DAZN have committed to AJ when Sky have the exclusive rights to the last fight he could be relevant in. Matchroom's output is way down compared to last year and I would expect subscriber numbers to be dropping. To emphasise the point the only fight nights Matchroom have announced after tomorrows shows are two PPV shows. I could see this go south pretty quickly for both DAZN and Matchroom if they don't pull out something to prove they haven't become a less accessible and less attractive version of Sky Sports Boxing/ Box Office.

·
'G' nius
27,274 Posts
I have Canelo UD. The amount of boxing matches GGG has gone through has to be around 400+ now if you include amateurs which is no easy gig.Id jerk myself all night if GGG pulls it off though.

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
DAZN already looking like hypocrites with their about face on PPV.

Yep, and that is why I sent them a notice to cancel my subscription when it comes up in the middle of this month. They have gone from $99 a year to $149 a year in the States and are now making all their best fights a PPV event.

Not exactly their business plan when they first surfaced, and one I'm not wanting to be part of any longer.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Bad news for UK subscribers to DAZN, they've done a u-turn on a previous announcement and have decided that this trilogy will now be put on the PPV arm of the platform. You'll be able to purchase the fight from 29th August though I haven't heard an official word on the price though I've heard unofficially it'll be a tenner

but I don't think it's Matchroom staff who should be fielding the questions about this, where's Markovski?
Confirmation now in that the PPV price is indeed set at £9.99 and Joe Markowski addresses his earlier comments that this wouldn't be on PPV in the UK, following the u-turn (the video starts at the right place when you click)

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
Confirmation now in that the PPV price is indeed set at £9.99 and Joe Markowski addresses his earlier comments that this wouldn't be on PPV in the UK, following the u-turn (the video starts at the right place when you click)

Just checked the DAZN site here in the States and the price showing for the PPV Canelo/GGG fight is $64.99, or 56 of your British pounds. That's a hell of a price jump.

·
just loving boxing
318 Posts
Controversy over the results of their previous two meetings has never really abated. So much so that DAZN went to the trouble of recently having three 'boxing experts' watch the first fight and score it. The results are hardly surprising :

Chris Walker GGG 117 - Canelo 111
Matt Astbury GGG 116 - Canelo 112
Steven Muehlhausen GGG 116 - Canelo 112

Who won Canelo vs. Golovkin 1? Our three judges rescored the fight | DAZN News US

A bit of a contrast to the official score cards :

Dave Moretti GGG 115 – Canelo113
Don Trella 114–114
Adalaide Canelo 118 – GGG 110

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
DAZN have to be very careful, one of their key selling points was no PPV, then it was only for the absolutely biggest names but if they are going to let this PPV creep they are losing their selling point and don't have Sky's platform to fall back on to cross sell. Trying to charge a PPV price for a 4am fight in the UK is pretty risky given they are gonna earn pennies from this (I'll be surprised if they get 10k buys at that time) and a lot of bad PR from it. Sky are really on roll in terms of signing fighters and DAZN have committed to AJ when Sky have the exclusive rights to the last fight he could be relevant in. Matchroom's output is way down compared to last year and I would expect subscriber numbers to be dropping. To emphasise the point the only fight nights Matchroom have announced after tomorrows shows are two PPV shows. I could see this go south pretty quickly for both DAZN and Matchroom if they don't pull out something to prove they haven't become a less accessible and less attractive version of Sky Sports Boxing/ Box Office.
DAZN already looking like hypocrites with their about face on PPV.
Yes it's a shame, DAZN are really on shaky ground as they don't have the volume for pure boxing fans to charge for the channel then charge again for fights. We can't get it through Sky, so I get it through the Xbox as an app. It works fine on the TV, but is already slightly clunky compared with PPV through the Sky box. Also I end up paying for it myself rather than out of household money as that's how I have the Xbox set up. I pay £7.99 for the channel, but think we have only watched two fights on it since we subscribed five months ago. So this weekend would be my third fight, but it's apparently another £10. So personally I'll have paid £60 for a non-Sky service giving me three fights. I can't see me ever watching more than one a month on DAZN, averaged over the year, so effectively every fight is already PPV. I'll pay this weekend but am monitoring it, we have already talked about ditching DAZN as the money-fights ratio is poor and with busy lives we're always looking for something to drop. We pay £130 a month to Sky, have some other channels, have four kids including three teenagers and have a comfortable lifestyle and work mostly from home (so most of our leisure budget is spent at home, we don't currently go out that much), so if people like us are thinking it isn't worth the money I'd be surprised if they're pulling big numbers. Can't see it lasting personally, there are loads of competing things in the leisure/entertainment sector, and I think DAZN is pretty poor, frankly. Uncompetitively so.

In terms of the fight - I think Canelo stops him late. GGG shipped a lot against Murata, isn't getting faster, and is much smaller than Bivol. Canelo spent his time in that fight trying (and failing) to solve the puzzle of the size disadvantage. In this one he'll be able simply to fight. Too big, too powerful up close, too focussed and just too determined to make a statement for this version of GGG. Hopefully the last big drama show.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yes it's a shame, DAZN are really on shaky ground as they don't have the volume for pure boxing fans to charge for the channel then charge again for fights. We can't get it through Sky, so I get it through the Xbox as an app. It works fine on the TV, but is already slightly clunky compared with PPV through the Sky box. Also I end up paying for it myself rather than out of household money as that's how I have the Xbox set up. I pay £7.99 for the channel, but think we have only watched two fights on it since we subscribed five months ago. So this weekend would be my third fight, but it's apparently another £10. So personally I'll have paid £60 for a non-Sky service giving me three fights. I can't see me ever watching more than one a month on DAZN, averaged over the year, so effectively every fight is already PPV. I'll pay this weekend but am monitoring it, we have already talked about ditching DAZN as the money-fights ratio is poor and with busy lives we're always looking for something to drop. We pay £130 a month to Sky, have some other channels, have four kids including three teenagers and have a comfortable lifestyle and work mostly from home (so most of our leisure budget is spent at home, we don't currently go out that much), so if people like us are thinking it isn't worth the money I'd be surprised if they're pulling big numbers. Can't see it lasting personally, there are loads of competing things in the leisure/entertainment sector, and I think DAZN is pretty poor, frankly. Uncompetitively so.

In terms of the fight - I think Canelo stops him late. GGG shipped a lot against Murata, isn't getting faster, and is much smaller than Bivol. Canelo spent his time in that fight trying (and failing) to solve the puzzle of the size disadvantage. In this one he'll be able simply to fight. Too big, too powerful up close, too focussed and just too determined to make a statement for this version of GGG. Hopefully the last big drama show.
Yeh I think especially the UK output has dropped off since the launch for the first 6 months we were getting 2 fight nights a month UK based an no PPV's now it's only 1 and if there is a second it's a PPV (they will have had the YouTube thing, this weekend and Benn v Eubank in 6 weeks all on PPV) . That makes it hard to justify and hard to attract casuals which is exactly what they need as any hardcore fans who were going to sign up already have.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Yeh I think especially the UK output has dropped off since the launch for the first 6 months we were getting 2 fight nights a month UK based an no PPV's now it's only 1 and if there is a second it's a PPV (they will have had the YouTube thing, this weekend and Benn v Eubank in 6 weeks all on PPV) . That makes it hard to justify and hard to attract casuals which is exactly what they need as any hardcore fans who were going to sign up already have.
Yes quite. Benn-Eubank isn't really one for the casuals, I'd imagine, as DAZN is relatively hard to get to and neither has a big profile outside of boxing. Junior always has a bit of recognition from his dad, but that's limited, and Connor has zero recognition. My non-boxing friends didn't even realise that Nigel had a boxing son. WIth Junior now being 32 it smacks of him trying to cash in rather than move forwards. Fighting at a catchweight is hardly the pushing on to title fights he talked of. If that one is PPV we won't buy it, and will only watch if we haven't cancelled DAZN by then. If there's any techhnical issue with the Canelo feed Sunday will see us become former subscribers. The output isn't worth £8 a month, any more, let alone if they PV the good ones. IIRC you can get to the PPV fights without being a subscriber. On the basis that they only have two fights a year I consider essential viewing by the looks of it, it'd be cheaper for me to do that. Odd company - I haven't had one email from them since I subscribed. They seem pretty second rate to me.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yes quite. Benn-Eubank isn't really one for the casuals, I'd imagine, as DAZN is relatively hard to get to and neither has a big profile outside of boxing. Junior always has a bit of recognition from his dad, but that's limited, and Connor has zero recognition. My non-boxing friends didn't even realise that Nigel had a boxing son. WIth Junior now being 32 it smacks of him trying to cash in rather than move forwards. Fighting at a catchweight is hardly the pushing on to title fights he talked of. If that one is PPV we won't buy it, and will only watch if we haven't cancelled DAZN by then. If there's any techhnical issue with the Canelo feed Sunday will see us become former subscribers. The output isn't worth £8 a month, any more, let alone if they PV the good ones. IIRC you can get to the PPV fights without being a subscriber. On the basis that they only have two fights a year I consider essential viewing by the looks of it, it'd be cheaper for me to do that. Odd company - I haven't had one email from them since I subscribed. They seem pretty second rate to me.
Fundamentally, DAZN sold us one thing and then switched on us. This was meant to be the platform for Boxing without PPVs and it's taken less than a year for that to fall apart completely. I could have just about stomached AJ and maybe Canelo but the idea that Benn vs Eubank is a PPV in any world is farcical. They are a good up and coming fighter against a bigger guy who failed to really suceed and as you said is cashing in. I would only consider a PPV for a world title fight and even then under special circumstances. Up to now they have been AJ fights but I wont be paying for any more of those whether it's the Fury fight or if he continues further.

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
The skeptics called DAZN out at the very beginning and have been proven correct over time.

I see it like this. Their initial introduction into sport at the price they were offering it was a bargain if you like a variety of sports. They streamed boxing, MMA, PDC Darts, snooker and other forms of billiards, Cricket, Football aka soccer, basketball, baseball, F-1 racing and had a vast collection of archived events to choose from.

All that for $99 a year U.S. made it hard to pass up. But with the recent increase in yearly rates going up to $149 U.S. and the PPV of the fights they were streaming free in the beginning have definitely soured me to the point I cancelled my subscription.

But I look at it this way, I got my money's worth when I was a subscriber and have no regrets, but this last turn of events was just too much, and I'm out. No hard feelings as I enjoyed it for what it was and had fun while it lasted.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts