Boxing Forums banner

3rd time lucky?

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
GGG insists he's going to return to 160lb to defend his unified title, if true then it won't be long before someone takes it off him, he should retire at once, I was amazed to hear him talk about dropping back down in weight after this, that doesn't sound like an intelligent decision to me, I hope he sees sense before too long.

Stick a fork in him.

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
GGG insists he's going to return to 160lb to defend his unified title, if true then it won't be long before someone takes it off him, he should retire at once, I was amazed to hear him talk about dropping back down in weight after this, that doesn't sound like an intelligent decision to me, I hope he sees sense before too long.

Stick a fork in him.

I didn't buy the PPV, so I've not seen the fight yet, but if his performance was anything like I've seen described in posts and press accounts of the fight, then he should hang them up.

From what I've read, it was a totally lackluster performance on his part and after watching him take all those body shots from Murata in his last fight, I figured Canelo would take his body and eventually KO him late in the fight.

So, it sounded like Canelo put in a sub-par performance himself in that bout that some have called a "real stinker".

GGG has a legacy in the sport as being one of the best, no sense in tarnishing it by hanging around too long and taking losses like so many before him have done.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Holyfield-Bowe too.
You just made me massively nostalgic just mentioning those fights/that era.

The fight at the weekend was better than I expected, given the hand and age. It was a fun event for £10 (although I don;'t like PPV, at least this was a PPV-level event, we won't be buying Eubank). Sat down as a family with snacks, it was decent if predictable. And hopefully shuts GGG up for a while, bit bored of him oddly,these days.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I didn't buy the PPV, so I've not seen the fight yet, but if his performance was anything like I've seen described in posts and press accounts of the fight, then he should hang them up.

From what I've read, it was a totally lackluster performance on his part and after watching him take all those body shots from Murata in his last fight, I figured Canelo would take his body and eventually KO him late in the fight.

So, it sounded like Canelo put in a sub-par performance himself in that bout that some have called a "real stinker".

GGG has a legacy in the sport as being one of the best, no sense in tarnishing it by hanging around too long and taking losses like so many before him have done.

'Real stinker' is way too strong for me. They were active and throwing, for me a stinker couldn't have that volume. It wasn't half as good as the first two, and the hand injury makes sense - GGG's timing was off, he looked vulnerable and out of ideas and spent way too long moving backwards and failing to cut off the ring when he did advance. I thought Canelo was going to stop him, and while throwing combinations and busy he never came close (although he did land clean a few times). The body shots weren't the factor most were expecting, it was mostly head hunting from Canelo. But it was a fun fight, put the trilogy to bed in a clear cut way and for me was way better than a stinker.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
But it was a fun fight, put the trilogy to bed in a clear cut way and for me was way better than a stinker.
So not 115-113 for you either? When I heard two of the judges saw it that way I couldn't help think this was an attempt to "right the wrong" of the previous fights. I put that in quotations as I had Canelo winning all three fights, 8-4, 7-5 and on Saturday night 10-2 so hearing 7-5 twice on Saturday I figured some funny business was going down because this was the clearest of his wins imo

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
So not 115-113 for you either? When I heard two of the judges saw it that way I couldn't help think this was an attempt to "right the wrong" of the previous fights. I put that in quotations as I had Canelo winning all three fights, 8-4, 7-5 and on Saturday night 10-2 so hearing 7-5 twice on Saturday I figured some funny business was going down because this was the clearest of his wins imo
Yes agree. We scored it here and had it 118-110 to Canelo. Were amazed when he read out 115-113. But noone watching the tape will clamour for a rematch or cry robbery, I thought it was a clear and comfortable Canelo win.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts