Boxing Forums banner

Should AJ retire immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No - He should fight the rematch and if he loses then retire.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No - He shouldn't fight Usyk again and continue against other lower level fighters.

Votes: 5 35.7%
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
$800 undisputed LHW champ
9,296 Posts
Yes, his career is in TATTERS

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Well his promoter held up the fight and threatened to get AJ to drop the belt if Usyk didn't agree to a rematch, all the fuss we had prior surely wasn't for nothing but as for my opinion yes I think he should take the rematch but I didn't vote in the poll because even if he loses the rematch I don't think he should retire, he's still fairly young and has the best resume in the division, with that comes losses but I don't worry about the 0 I want to see good entertaining fights and Joshua delivers 9/10 times

·
Cunt
763 Posts
Well his promoter held up the fight and threatened to get AJ to drop the belt if Usyk didn't agree to a rematch, all the fuss we had prior surely wasn't for nothing but as for my opinion yes I think he should take the rematch but I didn't vote in the poll because even if he loses the rematch I don't think he should retire, he's still fairly young and has the best resume in the division, with that comes losses but I don't worry about the 0 I want to see good entertaining fights and Joshua delivers 9/10 times
He clearly doesn't have the best resume in the division.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Since when would losing to Usyk twice mean he should retire, this is the attitude that's killing boxing, let him keep fighting as long as there is fight left in him, if a fighter is better than him, so he it, many a great fighter has had Fighters better than them

I mis voted in the poll, he should fight Usyk again and if he loses he should fight loser of Wilder fury and get back for the winner of Usyk fury/Wilder

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Since when would losing to Usyk twice mean he should retire, this is the attitude that's killing boxing, let him keep fighting as long as there is fight left in him, if a fighter is better than him, so he it, many a great fighter has had Fighters better than them

I mis voted in the poll, he should fight Usyk again and if he loses he should fight loser of Wilder fury and get back for the winner of Usyk fury/Wilder
I respect your old school views and truly wish that's how things still worked.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Reactions: ISTILLSPEAKUMTROOTH

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think so, look he's 31, the time to fire Rob was several years ago when he was labouring against Takam and Parker but he's stayed loyal and all the bad habits and lack of creativity has been ironed in.

I don't think he enjoys fighting anymore, silk bedsheets and all that, if he wants to continue he needs to find the hunger and change things up, he would need an emmanual steward style overhaul but I'm not sure if he can be fussed going through that, if he does continue and he remains with Rob his career is over anyway, the only way forward is to take a risk, move away and at least TRY something new.

·
Fighting the Fury loving Scum
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I don't understand this attitude, why the hell would a guy who has been unified World Champion continue after losing his titles and then getting beat in a rematch? He would likely have to take 2-3 fights against lower opposition (guys ranked 6-20 on one of the boards lists) to even get another title shot which if it was against Uysk would seem a little pointless. That attitude might have worked in the old days but this is 2021, Fans care about world title fights not watching hasbeens fight for nothing. I have bought almost all AJ's PPV's but I would never pay for a non title fight.

·
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Didn't watch the fight, but losing to the best doesn't mean you should hang it up
Yes it fucking does if your goal was to be the best and that has been proved impossible. I don't imagine there is any sportsmen who says "I want to be the 3rd best in the world". Not like AJ needs the money he has £100m+. So unless he does a Mayweather and blows it all on hookers and blow then it makes no sense to continue post a rematch if he loses.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I don't understand this attitude, why the hell would a guy who has been unified World Champion continue after losing his titles and then getting beat in a rematch? He would likely have to take 2-3 fights against lower opposition (guys ranked 6-20 on one of the boards lists) to even get another title shot which if it was against Uysk would seem a little pointless. That attitude might have worked in the old days but this is 2021, Fans care about world title fights not watching hasbeens fight for nothing. I have bought almost all AJ's PPV's but I would never pay for a non title fight.
As I said above, does AJ want to retire with one loss to Usyk or two? That's what it comes down to.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It all depends on Joshuas mentality and if he wants it or not, there is potential for a positive here but it depends on him making the right decisions.

If I was advising Joshua I would tell him, don't take the rematch, leave Mcracken, (by the way Mcracken if he has anything about him should step down,l and let AJ go, he's made millions off him and can't take him any further, if he stays and encourages AJ to take the rematch he's a snake.)

Then what I would do is say OK AJ relocate to the states, live in LA or somewhere, pie off all the hangers on and the dubai crew, hire Stacey Mckinley or someone like that, someone who is going to tell you day one, you need to change this this and this.

Then what I'd tell him is we are going to play, ROLE REVERSAL.

You are going to fight the Pianeta, Schwartz, Wallin, Stivernes of this world, and let those other guys face the Usyk's, hrgovics, Joyce's, gassievs.

The big money fights will be there for him in a year or two, he has time, he doesn't need money, he has no obligations now, and he can get away from the pressure and have a bit of fun for the first time in years, while learning.

Up to him but that option is there.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Yes it fucking does if your goal was to be the best and that has been proved impossible. I don't imagine there is any sportsmen who says "I want to be the 3rd best in the world". Not like AJ needs the money he has £100m+. So unless he does a Mayweather and blows it all on hookers and blow then it makes no sense to continue post a rematch if he loses.
If your logic made any sense and it doesn't, there would only be one or two active participants in every sport.

·
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It all depends on Joshuas mentality and if he wants it or not, there is potential for a positive here but it depends on him making the right decisions.

If I was advising Joshua I would tell him, don't take the rematch, leave Mcracken, (by the way Mcracken if he has anything about him should step down,l and let AJ go, he's made millions off him and can't take him any further, if he stays and encourages AJ to take the rematch he's a snake.)

Then what I would do is say OK AJ relocate to the states, live in LA or somewhere, pie off all the hangers on and the dubai crew, hire Stacey Mckinley or someone like that, someone who is going to tell you day one, you need to change this this and this.

Then what I'd tell him is we are going to play, ROLE REVERSAL.

You are going to fight the Pianeta, Schwartz, Wallin, Stivernes of this world, and let those other guys face the Usyk's, hrgovics, Joyce's, gassievs.

The big money fights will be there for him in a year or two, he has time, he doesn't need money, he has no obligations now, and he can get away from the pressure and have a bit of fun for the first time in years, while learning.

Up to him but that option is there.
I have seen nothing from AJ that indicates he would ever leave McCracken he believes in Loyalty (I know most people think thats a bad thing these days but there are few with old fashioned values left). Plus he would NEVER waste his time with all that Shite that Fury padded his resume with! He has some self respect, whatever people think he was a 2 time World Champion and has £100m in the bank he doesn't need to humiliate himself by going down that route.

·
CHB NYC Delegate; Bob's weaver
20,572 Posts
He should fight Wilder and then angle for the winner of Usyk/Fury. There's not much worth doing after that.

Retirement is pretty much around the corner; there isn't much left to do for heavyweights when they've reached a certain level... but he may as well try to steal some more money on the way out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have seen nothing from AJ that indicates he would ever leave McCracken he believes in Loyalty (I know most people think thats a bad thing these days but there are few with old fashioned values left). Plus he would NEVER waste his time with all that Shite that Fury padded his resume with! He has some self respect, whatever people think he was a 2 time World Champion and has £100m in the bank he doesn't need to humiliate himself by going down that route.
Resumes? Interesting choice of topic.

How many losses your boy got now? How many belts your boy hold now?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts