Boxing Forums banner

Should AJ retire immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No - He should fight the rematch and if he loses then retire.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No - He shouldn't fight Usyk again and continue against other lower level fighters.

Votes: 5 35.7%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Since when would losing to Usyk twice mean he should retire, this is the attitude that's killing boxing, let him keep fighting as long as there is fight left in him, if a fighter is better than him, so he it, many a great fighter has had Fighters better than them

I mis voted in the poll, he should fight Usyk again and if he loses he should fight loser of Wilder fury and get back for the winner of Usyk fury/Wilder
I respect your old school views and truly wish that's how things still worked.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I don't understand this attitude, why the hell would a guy who has been unified World Champion continue after losing his titles and then getting beat in a rematch? He would likely have to take 2-3 fights against lower opposition (guys ranked 6-20 on one of the boards lists) to even get another title shot which if it was against Uysk would seem a little pointless. That attitude might have worked in the old days but this is 2021, Fans care about world title fights not watching hasbeens fight for nothing. I have bought almost all AJ's PPV's but I would never pay for a non title fight.
As I said above, does AJ want to retire with one loss to Usyk or two? That's what it comes down to.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Yes it fucking does if your goal was to be the best and that has been proved impossible. I don't imagine there is any sportsmen who says "I want to be the 3rd best in the world". Not like AJ needs the money he has £100m+. So unless he does a Mayweather and blows it all on hookers and blow then it makes no sense to continue post a rematch if he loses.
If your logic made any sense and it doesn't, there would only be one or two active participants in every sport.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I'm guessing once again it depends whether you believe him or not, you clearly are a sceptic about him so I can't expect you would take him at his word and you will look for some nefarious motive.
Anyone who blindly and without question believes the word of a boxing promoter is a fool. You admit yourself to Hearn's 'second hand car salesman pitch' and that he 'certainly puts a gloss on things'.

Yet you choose to believe his every word. Defend his every word and throw around over reaction like 'nefarious reasons' just because anyone else chooses to question Hearn's word.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I'm not saying Warren or Arum were bad in their day but lets face it that was probably 20 years ago when a different style was required as you say and today they just seem very out of touch. Eddie does the best job I have seen in any sport of a promoter both in terms of visibility and fan interaction. He does seem to debate with IFL for many hours most weeks!
Plainly Eddie's truth is your truth whether it is actually true or not.

That you admit to being a 'fan' of Eddie's is even more disturbing. A fan of a boxing promoter? There's a sucker born every minute and promoters like Hearn work those suckers over and lighten their pockets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.