Boxing Forums banner

Should AJ retire immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No - He should fight the rematch and if he loses then retire.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No - He shouldn't fight Usyk again and continue against other lower level fighters.

Votes: 5 35.7%
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
In the Interviews I saw with EH, he only suggested it as a possibility not trying fake anything...
He was setting a narrative,.... Edward has a tendency of doing that.
Started with a Ricky Burns title defence years ago where he claimed burns broke his hand .

And the followup would have been "You see we need to applaud his courage he got injured in the second round and he fought 10 rounds with a broken eye socket..".

Remember how Eddie refused to believe Dubois had a genuine injury ti his eye socket in his fight with Joyce. And demanded to see scans and x rays.

Thats probably cus Edward himself habitually makes up injuries for his fighters, thinks everyone else is doing the same.

Well Edward is the best spin doctor in the business.

Reactions: Philly Shell

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I'm guessing once again it depends whether you believe him or not, you clearly are a sceptic about him so I can't expect you would take him at his word and you will look for some nefarious motive.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
I'm guessing once again it depends whether you believe him or not, you clearly are a sceptic about him so I can't expect you would take him at his word and you will look for some nefarious motive.
If I was a fighter only promoter I would sign with is Eddie Hearns.
He is head and shoulders above the rest for various reasons. Comes across as likable sounds very plausible when he is lying. Is the only promoter who has a fanbase who hang on every word he says and follow fighters because of him. He is the best promoter in the Social media age he has mastered social media for promotional purposes. Is the only promoter who makes himself very easily accesible to the Youtube channels getting non-stop publicity for himself and his fighters. Has the best relationship with the press. And in most cases fights his fighters corners even if he has to lie through his teeth.

He is a promoter who actually promotes and markets his fighters. On the opposite end of the spectrum you got someone like Uncle Bob Arum attacking a Terence Crawford for not promoting himself when its his job to promote and market him.

But I take most of what Edward says with a pinch of salt and would not trust him.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Yeh I agree with a lot of that. I'm a big fan of his watch all his IFL interviews, I find him extremely entertaining and I think he has done alot for UK boxing. Of course he is a promoter and inherent in that is a bit of the second hand car salesman pitch which maybe isn't lying but he certainly puts a gloss on things.

As you say compare him to Arum or Warren, he does actually seem to care about both the sport, his fighters and the fans (I'm not suggesting he doesn't have an ulterior motive but he can want to make money and still want those things too).

I think if you are on his team you could trust him, but like anyone in business if you are on the otherside you have to expect he is playing things to his advantage.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Anyone who blindly and without question believes the word of a boxing promoter is a fool. You admit yourself to Hearn's 'second hand car salesman pitch' and that he 'certainly puts a gloss on things'.

Yet you choose to believe his every word. Defend his every word and throw around over reaction like 'nefarious reasons' just because anyone else chooses to question Hearn's word.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Yeh I agree with a lot of that. I'm a big fan of his watch all his IFL interviews, I find him extremely entertaining and I think he has done alot for UK boxing. Of course he is a promoter and inherent in that is a bit of the second hand car salesman pitch which maybe isn't lying but he certainly puts a gloss on things.

As you say compare him to Arum or Warren, he does actually seem to care about both the sport, his fighters and the fans (I'm not suggesting he doesn't have an ulterior motive but he can want to make money and still want those things too).

I think if you are on his team you could trust him, but like anyone in business if you are on the otherside you have to expect he is playing things to his advantage.
Eddie is a better communicator and has better people skills then Warren and Arum. But overall I dont think there is much difference.

Arum and Warren were great promoters in their prime as well. They did not adapt too well to the internet age.
They come from an era were a promoter presented a corporate image as a tough businessman and negotiator. ( Barry Hearn was the same.)

Eddie presents an image of a guy who would sit down with you and talk boxing for hours and engage in banter

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I'm not saying Warren or Arum were bad in their day but lets face it that was probably 20 years ago when a different style was required as you say and today they just seem very out of touch. Eddie does the best job I have seen in any sport of a promoter both in terms of visibility and fan interaction. He does seem to debate with IFL for many hours most weeks!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I'm not saying Warren or Arum were bad in their day but lets face it that was probably 20 years ago when a different style was required as you say and today they just seem very out of touch. Eddie does the best job I have seen in any sport of a promoter both in terms of visibility and fan interaction. He does seem to debate with IFL for many hours most weeks!
Plainly Eddie's truth is your truth whether it is actually true or not.

That you admit to being a 'fan' of Eddie's is even more disturbing. A fan of a boxing promoter? There's a sucker born every minute and promoters like Hearn work those suckers over and lighten their pockets.

·
Super Moderator
13,476 Posts
... I find him extremely entertaining and I think he has done alot for UK boxing. Of course he is a promoter and inherent in that is a bit of the second hand car salesman pitch which maybe isn't lying but he certainly puts a gloss on things.

The Devil has always had a winning smile.

Of course, I'm not saying that Fast Eddie is the Devil. Oh, no.
I think the Devil works FOR him.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.