Boxing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering whether people thing Kovalev should hang up his gloves?

My opinion is yes, he lost to Canelo despite a reasonably good performance but he doesn't have the magic anymore. Yarde very nearly KO'd in R8 and I can't see him winning another World title unless Canelo vacates and he gets an easy shot?

· Bored now, byyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
42 Posts
He can still earn a decent living at the moment without troubling the best in the division in my opinion so he should have a game plan for getting out but it's not time to quit yet.

· Registered
4,650 Posts
I was wondering whether people thing Kovalev should hang up his gloves?

My opinion is yes, he lost to Canelo despite a reasonably good performance but he doesn't have the magic anymore. Yarde very nearly KO'd in R8 and I can't see him winning another World title unless Canelo vacates and he gets an easy shot?
Probably should but wont..!

· Registered
4,079 Posts
Think it depends entirely on his bank balance and interest levels. If he needs or wants the money then there are still plenty of decent fights out there and he'll give himself a chance in many of them. He's not what he was and doesn''t beat the very top but there are so many fighters these days and so many versions of belts he can make a few million if he fancies it, and could even do so while winning. Retirement is a personal decision when there isn't a major injury so no idea how he will play it.

· Registered
5,191 Posts
surely hes sat on big bucks? if yarde got life changing money for fighting him he must have got more. fights against ggg and canelo also muct have been highly lucrative. at what point is it enough as hes clearly on the slide now.

· Registered
9,450 Posts
Probably.

He is clearly no longer the fighter he once was, and most likely won't beat any of the top guys or win a title again. He's also getting hurt in most of his fights now.

Unless he needs the money he should probably pack it in. More cash is always useful, but your health is more important.

He has the two fights on DAZN, but won't need to take them if he retires. These fights are often offered to fighters as a sweetener to mitigate the loss in income from losing their belt however.

Therefore his team should have some say in the opponents, and can probably engineer a couple of decent risk/reward match ups.

· You don't have the capability for mayhem
13,484 Posts
Yeah. he fought like a shot fighter vs Canelo.

Looked to me like he no longer believes in his own work, and also looked like he had questions about his own gas tank. I think his chin has maybe deteriorated as well. He had real difficulty pulling the trigger, like he was a step behind.

I've never seen Kovalev fight like that before.. Terrible strategy. I don't know if he thought he was going to win on points with those pitter pat punches but his corner really should have told him to sit down and start throwing more power shots. He was never going to beat Canelo fighting like that.

Now it is possible he can bounce back from this and beat some decent LHWs, but I see Beterbiev and Bivol both beating him, and honestly if he fights like he did against Canelo maybe even Pascal could defeat him.

· Registered
3,905 Posts
If he had received a drubbing from Canelo for 11 Rounds I would have definitely said yes but although Kovalev was very tentative in the Ring he was still competitive.

Fights with the likes of Callum Johnson or Joe Smith Jr. could be fun but does Kovalev want to drop down a level and risk fighting boxers like that.

Thinking about it he probably would be best calling it a day.

· Registered
2,268 Posts
I think he’s a bit like GGG in the respect that his style he developed, that suited his power, is now a bit of a hindrance.

He never loaded up as his power was that legit that he didn’t need to. He could just box very conservatively and correctly and his power would chip away at the opponent.

Now he seems somewhat gunshy, the power+considered boxing isn’t having such a success. Although it’s quite possible you could hit Canelo with a bat and he’d be fine?

I actually thought the tactics vs Canelo weren’t terrible, I felt he just needed to vary up the speed a bit more and occasionally try to catch Canelo unaware by suddenly firing in hard, rapid (for him) combos.

It was all just a bit one paced.

· Registered
5,119 Posts
He has zero confidence in his chin and stamina, it was obvious after 2 rounds vs Canelo that he wasn't looking for the KO, too scared to properly open up with fear of getting hurt. Kovalev up to the 2nd Ward fight was much more aggressive, seemed to have more power and was a joy to watch.

He deserved the win vs Ward in the first fight and i think it mentally destroyed him to a point, hasn't looked as dangerous since, he has a had a good career and should probably retire after an easy fight next year but i think he will fight on and try for another title. Just wish he was given the decision vs Ward. I had winning 7 rounds plus a KD, just can't give Ward 7 rounds and it was a robbery for me.

· Registered
8,107 Posts
Well he clearly lost a couple of steps in the Yarde fight and you have to think maybe the beating he took in round 8 stole the last of his proper punch resistance, he was getting hurt by everything and that old aggression and hunger just isn't really there any more, it depends what he wants, he's clearly still good enough to beat the contenders with padded records and such but as said it's doubtful if he can really hang with the true world class level fighters now

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.