Boxing Forums banner

Spence vs Bundu peaks at 6.34 MILLION viewers

7K views 61 replies 28 participants last post by  Smirk 
#1 · (Edited)
Incredible. Genius move by Al Haymon to put the former Olympian on NBC right after the Men's basketball gold medal game and in between the closing ceremonies. Spence may become (or already is) a star after destroying Bundu in front of that crowd.

edit: http://www.boxingscene.com/errol-spence-over-moon-with-monster-rating-6-million--108022
"Following the broadcast of the 2016 U.S. Olympic men's basketball team's gold medal-winning performance, Spence Jr.'s fight posted a peak audience of 6.34 million viewers and averaged 4.8 million viewers for the entire hour. This fight is the highest-rated PBC fight to-date.

Spence-Bundu drew the largest television audience for boxing in over 18 years (August 21, 2016 vs. March 23, 1998)."

See less See more
#16 ·
Was just about to post this. It's great news for American boxing, especially seeing as Spence looked fantastic in the fight. Yeah, Bundu isn't any sort of world level operator, but the majority of the 6 million viewers don't know or care about that. They tuned in to see a promising young talent and he put in a great performance.

#23 ·
That is fucking incredible. A stroke of scheduling genius by Haymon like @bballchump11 said. But as @Chacal also said it needs to be consistent to sustain meaning.

If Spence is now going to be a magnet for a significant amount of those 6 million then Haymon needs to pick an adversary and try to build them up a following too. Maybe he's looking at putting the Garcia and Thurman fight together and then eventually pitting the winner of that against Spence (after a period of 'marinating' that is too long for hardcore fans but just right for casual fans).

This is exciting and welcome news though. Given the rumours about the potential trouble PBC is facing this was exactly what it needed.

I'm really happy for Spence too. I thought fighting Algieri was a good step up and I'll always see that win as impressive. I'm not going to call him a Mayweather beater after stopping Bundu but I do like him and the fantasy of him and, somewhere down the line, Crawford fighting is very exciting.

#27 ·
Hopefully it's Brook for the IBF! Read he has 10 days to decide on if he's staying at WW or MW if he wins, and if he loses the IBF will notify him on October 26th to start negotiating with Spence.

edit: Looks like Konstantin Ponomarev is the top rated WW for IBF outside of Spence and Brook.. Damn, really hope he gets Brook instead...

#38 ·
It annoys me when fight fans say brook doesn't want any of spence when he is fighting GGG at 160.

Come on? He clearly isn't scared is he.

#46 · (Edited)
It annoys me when fight fans say brook doesn't want any of spence when he is fighting GGG at 160.

Come on? He clearly isn't scared is he.
Scared? No. They're professional prizefighters so doubt they're scared of anyone.

I think they see the GGG fight as a bit of a no lose?

If Kell loses then so what? Golovkin is a destroyer who Kell "jump up to weightclasses to fight" (despite being a stone heavier than him currently).

It's almost like Golovkin is so good that you get a free pass for losing to him. Like a "of course you lost to GGG! Everybody does, no shame in that!" type of deal.

But the bonus of him going up to fight GGG and getting up to 176lbs then training yourself down to a rock solid 160 is that your body will change and I doubt you ever see 147 again?

So they can give up the belt at 147 as an "undefeated WW champion!", conveniently duck Spence and then go on to campaign at 154 as as close to an undefeated fighter as you can be (despite getting chinned by GGG).

Does that make any sense? It's a bit of career manoeuvring but it kinda makes sense to maximise the interest in your career. Losing to Golovkin shouldn't hurt his status too much as they have the built in excuses ready to roll but then having to kill yourself to get back down to 147 to fight Spence probably isn't looking like a great option as losing that straight after a Golovkin whooping would likely damage his career path a decent amount?

#62 ·
It's no lose in the sense that he will not receive derision for losing to G but it takes some serious gumption to sign up for what everyone believes will be a bludgeoning.

Doesn't matter if you are a prizefighter or not. No one likes getting the shit beat out of them.

#47 ·
Brook may even stay at 160. We don't know yet. If he really struggles badly to make 147, then 154 might be a bit more of push (even though it's a few pounds more he can gain). Canelo moves up to 160 and all of a sudden it makes the division interesting. Canelo, GGG, Brook (if he decides to stay at 160) Eubank Jnr, BJS, Jacobs, Lee, etc.

#48 ·
Maybe because everyone else (Or whomever you are referring to) has established themselves as top fighters? Of course, I don't know who "everyone else" is, so that's just a guess. But what we know of Spence (as opposed to Brook, who's in limbo status for his next fight) is that he has a stablemate w/ a world title. It's normally easier to make a fight within your house then with a guest. That's all I'm saying. But here's my prediction if Spence gets the IBF belt. He defends is a few times, and MAYBE in a couple of years, he faces another belt holder at 147.
Spence hasn't shown he's near the top crop of current WW fighters? Facing Brook for the IBF wouldn't help establish him as a top WW fighter? I get that Thurman is a stablemate, but still don't see how that makes it easier for him to jump ahead of everyone else in line for that title when his next fight is for the IBF Brook holds, damn near guaranteed?

Whatever Spence does after the title shot wasn't part of the topic at hand.

#49 ·
Div....neither of those first two statements are what I said. I've said my piece, and pretty clearly at that. If these first two sentences are any indication of what type of discussion we'll get in to, I'll politely pass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.