Boxing Forums banner

Spence vs Ugas

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  desertlizard 
#1 ·
This fight went under the radar, I didn't realize this shit was going to be in Arlington. So I missed out
Anyway, typical round 1 feeling out process, gave it to Ugas for the only meaningful punches in the round that was oddly enough, a counter to the body

Round 2 Ugas isn't throwing, Spence picking up the activity. Ugas seemingly crowding himself too much.

Round 3-5 Ugas isn't throwing and Spence is definitely throwing at least 100 punches per round at this point. Ugas landing some very clean heavy shots when he does let go, but not doing much at all

Round 6 Spence is hurt from a right hand, almost acting as if there was a break called. Ref seems to step in to get the home town fighter a breather. Spence comes back with an onslaught of his own but definitely an Ugas round.

I'm watching on a shitty stream, so I'm missing a good part of these later rounds. Spence seems to be on the way to getting Ugas out of there

#4 ·
I'm glad he got the stoppage in the end, he worked so hard for it yet it wasn't going to come without a helping hand and the ref obliged. It was a solid performance from Spence Jr he didn't drop a round on my card, Ugas all out of ideas from round 2 onwards, cannot believe he didn't jump on Spence Jr in the 6th after the little stumble, this was his moment, he won't be champion again but I hope he was well compensated.

So his streak of going the distance is snapped and there's only one person left for him to fight now, there's no more reasons not to make the fight, when asked "what next" Spence Jr's response "Mandown, Strapseason, Terence Crawford I'm coming for that m*f* belt" exactly what we wanted to hear so now let's get it done. He told Brian Custer before the fight that he was only joking when he previously said Crawford can get 20-30% and so the split shouldn't be a hurdle.

#6 ·
Spence lokes being in brawls.
I would prefer him boxing more but that just isnt who he is, but he brings it

Ugas needed to be stopped. His orbital bone was broken, he couldnt see, and who knows what could have happened if allowed to continue

#10 ·
Too high a jump in class and worst case he beats him coming off an injury and is thrown in the deep end far too early.
Probably better for him to try to get someone like Dulorme, who has a punch but is extremely limited skill wise and then try to work his way up to a Shawn porter or danny garcia before moving up to ugas and title gatekeeper level. IMO

#11 ·
I doubt Dulorme would be viable for Benn (or EH) given he has no name value and has only won 3 of the last 9. Given Porter has retired, I'm guessing it might be Garcia. Big enough name but has gone 3-3 in his last 6 so he would seem like a winnable, if difficult fight. I don't see that as any harder than Avanesyan and that fight has little commercial value.

#15 ·
too much pressure from spence on Ugas, he surely needed to let go his hands! but his compadre was insanely all over him the entire night, CrawFord is no ugas and defo can see him trading if spence wants that fight. good thing its happening next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.