Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kambosos Jr on Points

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The undisputed Lightweight champion will make the second defence of his IBF crown and first defence of his WBA and WBO championships against his mandatory challenger Kambosos Jr but watching the kick-off press conference just now I was surprised/shocked to see two fighters with badly slurred speech and haven't boxed for a decade, returning to fight on this PPV undercard in the co-main.

Former undisputed Cruiserweight and Heavyweight champion of the world Evander Holyfield is returning to the ring to fight Kevin McBride. At least neither man has been in the ring for 10 years so it won't be as bad as Benn talking about coming back against Bika previously but still I'm sure I'm not the only one who would rather they stay retired, they both look stiff and slow even just walking on and off the stage, I hope no one gets badly hurt in there.

Poor Ray Flores who was hosting it had to act as security with help from a sound technician or someone but clearly neither man has a security license and there was no help coming from anywhere else (I was laughing hysterically at this point), even though Triller are fairly new to this I cannot believe they put on a press conference without security, they obviously want to save as much money as possible on this event now (just look at the undercard or lack of it) but this was taking the michael.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Picked Lopez on points.

Heart says Kambosos but head says Lopez

Hoping GK has enough to get through the 12 rounds but am expecting Lopez to win. GK seems to have the right attitude and I believe he will show up to win but I'm not sure he's got enough tools to do the job.

Would love to be wrong though

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kambosos Jr is gonna have to be the guy that pays the price
Josh Taylor stop running
Devin Haney got his title via email
The IBF and Ring Magazine titles are the only ones I respect
I am undisputed

Just some of the highlights of the interview with the champion ahead of his Triller PPV debut

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I watched this video just now right and basically the champion arrived at the gym to do a workout ahead of his next fight and Welterweight prospect/contender Conor Benn was waiting for him to arrive, when he did he asked for a photo with him to which Teo obliged, anyway at the end a reporter asked him about Benn's last performance and it was a bit awkward but see to me it looked as if Lopez had no idea who Benn was or that he was a boxer (although he probably was aware of at least that) so anyway I went to look at the comment section to the video to see if that's what others thought and I was shocked to see many people calling Lopez "arrogant" and "full of himself" etc. but I didn't get that impression it looked to me like he was caught off guard by the question and he doesn't watch Sky Fight Night shows so he genuinely didn't know what happened in the Benn vs Vargas fight.

Anyway what do you guys think was it arrogance or ignorance?

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
I watched this video just now right and basically the champion arrived at the gym to do a workout ahead of his next fight and Welterweight prospect/contender Conor Benn was waiting for him to arrive, when he did he asked for a photo with him to which Teo obliged, anyway at the end a reporter asked him about Benn's last performance and it was a bit awkward but see to me it looked as if Lopez had no idea who Benn was or that he was a boxer (although he probably was aware of at least that) so anyway I went to look at the comment section to the video to see if that's what others thought and I was shocked to see many people calling Lopez "arrogant" and "full of himself" etc. but I didn't get that impression it looked to me like he was caught off guard by the question and he doesn't watch Sky Fight Night shows so he genuinely didn't know what happened in the Benn vs Vargas fight.

Anyway what do you guys think was it arrogance or ignorance?

[/QUOTE

He is just in fight mode and really couldn't give a shit if some mouthy Brit is in his gym.

He is there to work not talk in cliches like Benn

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DELAYED: The fight date has been moved from this weekend to 19th June now, can't find a reason for it and apparently it'll be $10 more than Triller's previous 2 PPVs. I did hear that they filed a lawsuit against some broadcasters and individuals for ripping off their last stream and of course we know they overpaid for this fight too so the date shift and price increase (if true) is probably about attempting to cover that outlay.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DELAYED: The fight date has been moved from this weekend to 19th June now, can't find a reason for it and apparently it'll be $10 more than Triller's previous 2 PPVs. I did hear that they filed a lawsuit against some broadcasters and individuals for ripping off their last stream and of course we know they overpaid for this fight too so the date shift and price increase (if true) is probably about attempting to cover that outlay.
So I heard yesterday that it was moved because they didn't want to go up against Mayweather's PPV, I forgot all about that although I hear the 19th is now full with different fight cards because of it, Mayweather was meant to go in Feb originally but then he moved it to this weekend so everyone else went running for the 19th apparently, just to get out of the way.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Further problems may lie ahead with this, here's the latest.

Triller now want to move the fight from the rescheduled Aug 14 to Oct 17 to (get this) Sydney Australia! The Triller co-founder says they can get the 38'000 capacity Bankwest stadium for that Sunday afternoon and that this would be primetime for the US audience. Lopez's manager is saying that the main problem is Australia's 14-day quarantine period and that it isn't fair to ask the fighter to travel over and then have to make 135lb whilst in quarantine.

Triller are clearly badly out of pocket here, first they paid well over the odds for the rights and then when Lopez had to withdraw due to Covid they reportedly lost another $5mil, apparently the fight hasn't sold well in the US (not too surprising since we've had 3 dates for it already 2 of which have come and gone with no fight and now Aug 14 looks to be off too now, why would anyone save the date when the date keeps changing).

So anyway Lopez's manager is saying they'll ask the IBF to rule for the fight to go ahead next month but if they don't Lopez may vacate the title. Ordinarily I wouldn't be on board with what Triller are proposing as Lopez is the champion but he went over to Triller to get the payday his own promoter wouldn't give him and he does have an obligation to help them get the most they can from the event, it's not just him that needs to be paid (and he is set to receive his career highest purse to date more than double that he got vs Loma) so I'm OK with the idea that he goes to Australia, after all he is WORLD champion, right.

Source: https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_...tion-george-kambosos-lightweight-championship

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Further problems may lie ahead with this, here's the latest.

Triller now want to move the fight from the rescheduled Aug 14 to Oct 17 to (get this) Sydney Australia! The Triller co-founder says they can get the 38'000 capacity Bankwest stadium for that Sunday afternoon and that this would be primetime for the US audience. Lopez's manager is saying that the main problem is Australia's 14-day quarantine period and that it isn't fair to ask the fighter to travel over and then have to make 135lb whilst in quarantine.

Triller are clearly badly out of pocket here, first they paid well over the odds for the rights and then when Lopez had to withdraw due to Covid they reportedly lost another $5mil, apparently the fight hasn't sold well in the US (not too surprising since we've had 3 dates for it already 2 of which have come and gone with no fight and now Aug 14 looks to be off too now, why would anyone save the date when the date keeps changing).

So anyway Lopez's manager is saying they'll ask the IBF to rule for the fight to go ahead next month but if they don't Lopez may vacate the title. Ordinarily I wouldn't be on board with what Triller are proposing as Lopez is the champion but he went over to Triller to get the payday his own promoter wouldn't give him and he does have an obligation to help them get the most they can from the event, it's not just him that needs to be paid (and he is set to receive his career highest purse to date more than double that he got vs Loma) so I'm OK with the idea that he goes to Australia, after all he is WORLD champion, right.

Source: https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_...tion-george-kambosos-lightweight-championship
Shit to hear it's postponed again. But I would be absolutely chuffed if they got in in Sydney!! I'd definitely fork out for some reasonable tickets for the fight.

Thing is though, Triller will absolutely NOT get 38,000 people into Bankwest in Sydney Aug 14 or even by Oct 17.

Aus handle covid amazingly last year and early this year but the vaccine rollout has been horrendous and with the new more contagious strain of the rona going round Sydney is back into lock down.

We are getting close to 100 new cases a day at the moment and the city is completely shut down. The gov is operating on a covid 0 policy and until we are getting zero community transmissions we'll all be stuck at home.. Unless there happens to be some major chain and speeding up in the vaccine program.

As it stands Sydney is locked down at least until July 30. Likely to stretch out longer. Then even if it does open.... sure as water is wet it will open in stages and capacity crowd in any footy stadium will be well out of reach for Triller for triller until well after October I'd say.

With that said though, even without covid dramas, I'm not sure Kambosos has the pulling power down under to get numbers like that. Even with the titles on the line. Kambosos won't have a whole lot of name recognition with the general public. Lopez even less.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shit to hear it's postponed again. But I would be absolutely chuffed if they got in in Sydney!! I'd definitely fork out for some reasonable tickets for the fight.

Thing is though, Triller will absolutely NOT get 38,000 people into Bankwest in Sydney Aug 14 or even by Oct 17.

Aus handle covid amazingly last year and early this year but the vaccine rollout has been horrendous and with the new more contagious strain of the rona going round Sydney is back into lock down.

We are getting close to 100 new cases a day at the moment and the city is completely shut down. The gov is operating on a covid 0 policy and until we are getting zero community transmissions we'll all be stuck at home.. Unless there happens to be some major chain and speeding up in the vaccine program.

As it stands Sydney is locked down at least until July 30. Likely to stretch out longer. Then even if it does open.... sure as water is wet it will open in stages and capacity crowd in any footy stadium will be well out of reach for Triller for triller until well after October I'd say.

With that said though, even without covid dramas, I'm not sure Kambosos has the pulling power down under to get numbers like that. Even with the titles on the line. Kambosos won't have a whole lot of name recognition with the general public. Lopez even less.
Ah man, I had no idea I thought it was business as usual in Sydney right now, surely Triller should know all this? This is an absolute shambles of a promotion, they should be barred from any more purse bids until they get their act together.

This is all very interesting to learn, it's good to have a man on the ground so to speak because I just assumed Triller knew what they were doing but obviously not. What's the issue with vaccinations would you say, logistics or hesitancy or something else?

The only bit I had already guessed at correctly is that Kambosas Jr isn't pulling 38'000 locals into the stadium lol. I'd say why don't Triller get Australia's favourite son on the undercard in the co-main against Zerafa, the numbers in Newcastle last week looked pretty good (on the TV at least), I'd imagine even more would turn out from Sydney but then I remember that Triller absolutely won't be able to afford him unless Lopez takes a pay cut and I know he won't since his money is guaranteed already.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Ah man, I had no idea I thought it was business as usual in Sydney right now, surely Triller should know all this? This is an absolute shambles of a promotion, they should be barred from any more purse bids until they get their act together.

This is all very interesting to learn, it's good to have a man on the ground so to speak because I just assumed Triller knew what they were doing but obviously not. What's the issue with vaccinations would you say, logistics or hesitancy or something else?

The only bit I had already guessed at correctly is that Kambosas Jr isn't pulling 38'000 locals into the stadium lol. I'd say why don't Triller get Australia's favourite son on the undercard in the co-main against Zerafa, the numbers in Newcastle last week looked pretty good (on the TV at least), I'd imagine even more would turn out from Sydney but then I remember that Triller absolutely won't be able to afford him unless Lopez takes a pay cut and I know he won't since his money is guaranteed already.
Well you would hope Triller know what's happening with all of this. I don't believe Australia is completely locked down but Sydney sure is. Perhaps come October they will be able to get capacity crowds within another state. I still wouldn't gamble on it though. Seems to me it would be smarter to have the fight in the US where things are open.

I wouldn't be against getting Tim Tszyu on the undercard but as you said it would cost them to much and I suspect Tszyu won't want to play support role to Kambosos when he's by far a bigger star down under than him.

The vaccine thing is hard to explain. but it just fucked all round. In part it's hesitancy and anti vax morons holding things up. Though overall it seems the public largely want to be vaccinated a lot just cant at the moment. The country is plague by supply issues and hugely inconsistent messaging. Originally Aus pretty much put all it's eggs in the basket of the Astra Zeneca vaccine and only picked up small amounts of Pfizer. We then got the issues (albeit minor issue) regarding blood clots and the AZ vaccine. The gov then mandated only people 40+ get the AZ vaccine, The rest get Pfizer. Then it became only 50+ and then 60+, back to OK anyone can get it, back to 60+, back to ok anybody but we recommend only 60+..... with all the jumping around people are to concerned about the minor risks and are not showing up for AZ. Choosing to wait for Pfizer. Now we don't have enough Pfizer to go round so the rollout has been slowed as priority groups still aren't finished etc etc.... it's just fucked all round really. The gov has dropped the ball in pretty much every aspect from supply, to who and when people can get it, to the messaging etc....

It's a shame because Aus for the most of last year and this year so far did amazing. It's been pretty much business as usual the majority of the time. Had they better managed the vaccine situation we wouldn't be in this situation.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE: The IBF have ruled in favour of Team Lopez and ordered Triller to put the fight on in a location where quarantine rules no longer apply. This appears to rule out Sydney, Australia (a nation I am also hearing in regular non-sports news are now requiring its citizens to obtain permission before being allowed to leave the country, hopefully Kambosos Jr and his team will get that permission when the time comes).

The IBF also state that the fight must be put on no later than October 17 with contracts done by August 24 which is a fortnight from now.

"At the end of the day, we still don't think that George has to be the one that's inconvenienced," Triller's co-founder, Ryan Kavanaugh, told ESPN. That comment seems to stem from the fact it was Lopez who withdrew the first time around forcing Kambosos Jr to abandon his Miami training camp and return home but if he had Covid he had Covid, hardly his fault is it so of course Kambosos Jr who is the challenger here should expect to meet Lopez on B-side terms. Apparently Triller are now looking at Las Vegas, the State in which the champion currently lives.

More here https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_...teofimo-lopez-george-kambosos-fight-australia

1 - 20 of 70 Posts