Boxing Forums banner

Thil v Steele: why did this never happen?

727 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Luf
Anyone got any info on this?

Fro the early 30's Thil was the consensus number 1 in the division and around the mid 30's Steele rose to the top of the contenders list picking up some titles on the way.

This seems like a natural fight to make but it never came off, does anyone know why?

assuming it did come off in 36, who would have won?

In the end Apostoli stopped the pair of them to settle matters but for a couple of years beforehand it's tough identifying the top dog of the division. Thil was beating Brouillard and Tunero whilst Steele was beating Risko and Battaglia.

Any info/insight would be appreciated :good
1 - 1 of 10 Posts
Fro the early 30's Thil was the consensus number 1 in the division...
I'm not sure I would call Thil "the consensus number 1" - he was rated #1 by The Ring, but it seems he was often downplayed or ignored by the American press and sanctioning commissions, who focused more on local titleholders like Yarosz. I would imagine their European counterparts were probably equally dismissive of the American titleholders.

This seems like a natural fight to make but it never came off, does anyone know why?
It doesn't seem that either fighter was particularly interested in traveling overseas, and there were plenty of big fights available to either of them on their home turf. For example, Steele's fight with Battaglia received a lot of attention because of Battaglia's vaunted power. Besides, this is a fairly small window we're looking at here - only about 2 years.

Having said that, Steele's manager (and lifelong mentor) Dave Miller did mention sometime in '37 that they were considering an offer to fight Thil in Paris. Shortly after that, Miller died and Thil lost to Apostoli (and never fought again), so whatever likelihood there was of that fight happening went out the window.

assuming it did come off in 36, who would have won?
If it happened in France, Thil might've been able to steal a DQ win. But if they fight on fair terms, I think Steele would've had too much firepower for him - especially in '36, when Thil was less active and appeared to be on the decline.

Thil was beating Brouillard and Tunero whilst Steele was beating Risko and Battaglia.
But Steele's wins were much more convincing and impressive - he dominated Risko and bombed out Battaglia, whereas Thil squeaked by on a close decision and two controversial DQs against Brouillard.
See less See more
1 - 1 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.