Boxing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I missed it, but looking at the Boxing Forum and Lounge, I saw no mention of this fight that just ended on DAZN.

This version of GGG will get KO'd by Canelo if they meet again is how I see it. He won the fight against the younger opponent by stoppage when Murata's corner threw in the towel in round 9. However, he took a pretty good amount of shots in doing so and looked pretty slow of foot in the ring.

GGG was getting hammered early on to the body and the announcers kept saying how Murata wasn't a big body puncher, but they looked to have an effect on GGG. If he had issues with this guys body punches, then Canelo's will wear him down real quick since he is a beast when body punching.

Another thing I noticed was the amount of muscle he seems to have packed on since the last time I saw him in the ring. Almost looked like he was on the juice the way he was cut.

Good win for GGG at 40, but I think it will be a huge mistake to take on Canelo again, unless it's just for the final fight money before hanging them up.

·
The World's Great Lover
34,148 Posts
GGG should have retired, he was going down performance wise after his last fight, he isn't going to look better with more age.
I understand he wants the payday, but if he loses this next fight against Canelo badly it will have the Canelo history rewriters claiming that the 1st 2 fights weren't robberies when its blatant that they were

·
Registered
12,811 Posts
This place is a Ghost Town

GGG looked good but one thing that I noticed every time he got Murata hurt GGG throw a few hard flurry's and take a break from the attack and go backwards for a minute

In the 9th round Murata was gone and GGG let off the gas, went backwards and then Murata walked into a good punch whilst throwing

I still want to see the Canelo fight, for me Canelo doesnt have the best stamina and maybe if he gets into a hard fight with Bivol it takes abit out of Canelo too, but if Canelo looks sensational against Bivol then maybe GGG wants to skip it and call it a day

·
Fighting the Fury loving Scum
1,530 Posts
Just watched the highlights, GGG did the job but he took far too much punishment back from a slow looking Murata and while he outlasted Murata who took way too many powershots to the head really, any talk of Canelo v GGG III should be shelved. Canelo would destroy him inside 2 rounds and he deserves to retire with dignity. The Lure of the $$$ may be too much I guess but will be sad tos see such a one sided fight which will surely end in brutal KO end such a distinguished career.

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just watched the highlights, GGG did the job but he took far too much punishment back from a slow looking Murata and while he outlasted Murata who took way too many powershots to the head really, any talk of Canelo v GGG III should be shelved. Canelo would destroy him inside 2 rounds and he deserves to retire with dignity. The Lure of the $$$ may be too much I guess but will be sad tos see such a one sided fight which will surely end in brutal KO end such a distinguished career.

He wouldn't be the first boxer to suffer a bad beating in their last fight. The record books are full of them.

Sugar Ray Leonard coming back to fight Camacho and getting stopped.
Roberto Duran lost his last fight to Camacho too----a guy he would have KO'd in his prime.
Joe Louis fought Rocky Marciano and got stopped.
Muhammad Ali losing to a 19-2 Trevor Berbick in his last fight.

Too many fighters hang around a year or two too long and pay the price.

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
GGG should have retired, he was going down performance wise after his last fight, he isn't going to look better with more age.
I understand he wants the payday, but if he loses this next fight against Canelo badly it will have the Canelo history rewriters claiming that the 1st 2 fights weren't robberies when its blatant that they were
I thought Canelo eked out a win in the 2nd fight.

·
Registered
12,811 Posts
Anyone think we are getting the Pacquiao effect with Canelo

Remember when we thought Pac was going to steamroll Marquez and they ended up having a close fight and then Pac lost by KO

GGG (from the Murata fight) would have stopped Plant and BJS quicker than Canelo and he would have stopped Callum Smith

At the same time Canelo would have beat Derevyanchenko with ease but not sure if he stops Murata

Think its not a bad fight maybe now with GGG's age I just facour Canelo slightly but not enough that I dont want to see it

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone think we are getting the Pacquiao effect with Canelo

Remember when we thought Pac was going to steamroll Marquez and they ended up having a close fight and then Pac lost by KO

GGG (from the Murata fight) would have stopped Plant and BJS quicker than Canelo and he would have stopped Callum Smith

At the same time Canelo would have beat Derevyanchenko with ease but not sure if he stops Murata

Think its not a bad fight maybe now with GGG's age I just facour Canelo slightly but not enough that I dont want to see it
Wait, what??? You're not sure if Canelo stops Murata---------Really. I see Canelo walking down Murata and getting him out of there quicker than GGG did. But, that's a "what if" fight since Murata is campaigning at a lower weight and there's no reason for them to ever meet in the ring.

The last Marquez/Pacquaio fight saw Manny ahead on all cards when Marquez clocked him with that right that sent him into the Twilight Zone. And in boxing, that's all it takes for an opponent to win sometimes as it's happened many times over the years. Marciano vs. Walcott, Big John Tate vs. Mike Weaver, Buster Douglas vs. Mike Tyson, Jose Luis Castillo vs. Diego Corralles, Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Meldrick Taylor, etc., etc.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
Wait, what??? You're not sure if Canelo stops Murata---------Really. I see Canelo walking down Murata and getting him out of there quicker than GGG did. But, that's a "what if" fight since Murata is campaigning at a lower weight and there's no reason for them to ever meet in the ring.

The last Marquez/Pacquaio fight saw Manny ahead on all cards when Marquez clocked him with that right that sent him into the Twilight Zone. And in boxing, that's all it takes for an opponent to win sometimes as it's happened many times over the years. Marciano vs. Walcott, Big John Tate vs. Mike Weaver, Buster Douglas vs. Mike Tyson, Jose Luis Castillo vs. Diego Corralles, Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Meldrick Taylor, etc., etc.
It's a fair enough opinion. Canelo threw less over twelve against a punching bag in Callum Smith than GGG did in 9 rounds vs Murata. Canelo does not hit harder than GGG, Murata has a good chin.

I take more issue with the rest of what ACS said, I favor Canelo to win in a third, and he is a heavy favorite.

·
Registered
12,811 Posts

If he stopped him would be either a body shot or a cut eye or swollen eye, don't think Canelo would hurt him to the head Murata took alot of heavy punches he was out on his feet in the round he got stopped and started throwing back against GGG, Murata is one tough SOB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts