Boxing Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

· Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The temperature was only just above freezing and in an open air stadium, the attendance was 60,000.

Make no mistake, Fury is big box office. He was absolutely unmarked after the fight and is unquestionably the best of his era.

· Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Lerena has to take some responsibilty too, he had to jump on Dubois when he rose the 3rd time and again when the bell went to start the 2nd round, it looked like there was an agreement beforehand that Dubois would win no matter what, I don't understand why he stopped trying to win otherwise. I must say though McGuigan delivered for his fighter, I'm pretty sure Dubois wanted to quit again after the first round but the instructions from the corner were apt and DDD did exactly what he was told to do but I remain concerned about his desire and willingness to go through the fire. It won't be long before someone takes that belt off him

The best parts of the main event for me was the Chisora ringwalk and the Fury/Usyk face-off.

· Registered
4,650 Posts
I dont know about any agreement according to WBA rules the three knock down rule applies. So it should have been stopped on that basis.

Or Dubois disqualified for going down voluntarily by the referee. Whole thing was shady 1st round ending early. The fight stopped right on the bell in 3rd round with Lerena not given an opportunity to recover.

· Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
At the end of the first round, after having gone down 3 times, Dubois said to his corner "what happened?"

He was totally confused, if not concussed and probably shouldn't have been sent back out.

The 3 knockdown rule is there to protect fighters and it should be in place all over the world. Why it wasn't in place or wasn't applied in the Dubois-Lerena fight is a mystery. The referee would have gone over things like whether the 3 knockdown rule and standing 8 count applied for the bout in the changerooms prior but why weren't the audience also made aware. Something is distinctly on the nose here.

· Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
“I was expecting the corner to stop the fight a couple of rounds before. The Referee did a good job of stopping it, but the corner should have stopped it before. But, you have to recognize Chisora’s willingness and heart to continue." - Mauricio Sulaiman, WBC president.

Don Charles seems to be getting off very lightly for not having throw the towel in when plainly that was the responsible action required of the corner. Corner bravery gets fights killed.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts