Boxing Forums banner

Warren responds to Wilder

620 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Sweethome_Bama 
#1 ·
I make this statement in relation to the outrageous and defamatory statements which have been made about me by Deontay Wilder.

On 9 May I announced the Wilder v Chisora fight, which was to take place on Saturday 15th June at Wembley Arena. There was a deal reached with Wilder's representative, Eric Gomez, and my matchmaker Dean Powell for that fight to take place.

On the morning of the press conference at 7.26am Dean Powell received an email from Eric Gomez asking the question: "Can you please hold on the announcement until Monday next week?". As you can see this was a question. The reason given for the request was: "don't want any bad press because of the arrest". Neither Dean nor I were told - as Mr Wilder now seems to suggest - that Mr Wilder did not consider he had a deal or that he was unable to travel to London. Indeed, Mr Gomez went onto say in that email "everything is fine". Therefore we took at face value that the reason for the request to postpone the announcement was because Mr Wilder did not want any bad press.

The problem was that the press conference had already been set up and it was not possible to accommodate Eric Gomez's request. Dean Powell therefore replied to his question: "We have everything set up for today & have our other boxers traveling from all over the UK to be in London this morning!". It was too late to postpone the announcement. There was no response to Dean's email before the press conference.

It was only after the press conference that we received an email from Mr Gomez saying: "I got a call from Deontay's attorney, there is [sic] some legal issues with travelling to the UK because of the arrest for battery. This is going to be a problem." We do not know when the attorney called Eric Gomez and, if before the press conference, why he did not tell us about this sooner.

I have therefore had to cancel the fight and postpone the show scheduled for 15 June. However, despite Mr Wilder's allegations, this is solely because Mr Wilder has been arrested and cannot now meet his commitment to fight Dereck Chisora.

There have been a number of websites which have reported Mr Wilder's comments and my lawyers will be raising complaints with them separately. However, I wish to make it clear at this stage, so that it is beyond doubt, that it was only after the announcement for the fight that Mr Wilder's representatives informed me that he could not travel to London to fight Dereck Chisora.
:pop

#2 ·
And yet once again everything Wilder said was either true or his own opinion. As of right now, tickets are still being sold for a show that isn't happening.

Wilder's arrest happened way before the 'press conference that couldn't be cancelled' and everyone knew the fight wasn't agreed.

And even right now after Warren's made another statement about his latest show being put back a month, the lead boxer on the bill is looking pretty unlikely to be taking part.

#4 ·
Even Warrens own fighters are slagging him off on twitter.. It doesn't really look good on him. Taking legal action.. Again. He really is becoming a big joke. Should retire and let his sons take over.
I don't know about that, Francis looks like he struggles to run a bath, George on the other hand, he's a chip off the old block, he's just like his father, which means he will be a cracking milkman. :deal

#6 ·
And yet once again everything Wilder said was either true or his own opinion. As of right now, tickets are still being sold for a show that isn't happening.

Wilder's arrest happened way before the 'press conference that couldn't be cancelled' and everyone knew the fight wasn't agreed.

And even right now after Warren's made another statement about his latest show being put back a month, the lead boxer on the bill is looking pretty unlikely to be taking part.
It's only a matter of time before Frank Warren's lawyers are contacting CHB because private citizens are speaking about him in a slightly negative light.

... i.e... Frank Warren is a bad businessman and a total ***.

#9 ·
His reasoning sounds weak and I would say the fact that he isn't talking about holding Wilder in breach of contract tells you everything you really need to know about it being a done deal.

Also if he was fighting Wilder he would be talking to GBP and Scheffer, not Gomez

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.