Boxing Forums banner

Which active boxers at 122 beat Guillermo Rigondeaux?

1K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  Michael 
#1 ·
A lot of people will say Donaire so for the sake of it, let's leave him out of this discussion.

Taking a look at the ring's top 10 fighters in Jr Feather:

Champ: Donaire
1: Rigo
2: Mares
3: Mathebula
4: Bakhtin
5: Frampton
6: Quigg
7: Darchinyan
8: Hasegawa
9: Tomoki Kameda
10: Romero

So we're ignoring Donaire (and Rigondeaux) as possible opponents, leaving us with Mares, Mathebula, Bakhtin, Frampton, Guigg, Darchinyan, Hasegawa, Kameda and Romero.

Mares is moving up to face PDL so that's not really a realistic fight anyway. Do you think any of the other guys mentioned would stand a chance? Feel free to give opinions on guys like Moreno and Santa Cruz also.

See less See more
#5 ·
Only Donaire, honestly. Don't think any of the others winning is out of the question given how Marroquin was able to rock him but I'd make him the favourite over everyone else including Mares.

#7 ·
Only Donaire, honestly. Don't think any of the others winning is out of the question given how Marroquin was able to rock him but I'd make him the favourite over everyone else including Mares.
:good

I'd actually be dead interested in a fight between Rigo and Mathebula. That tall motherfucker would be pissing blood for the rest of his life.

#11 ·
See this? This is why I don't usually tag you in things. I understand you're upset because I crushed you in H2H but come on.
:sad2

None of them really, although opinions will obviously change after the Donaire fight depending on how many clean left hooks he can take since as the unanswered question seems to be on his chin. I'm expecting not too many but if he can take them well and come away with the win then he's gotta be favored against them all. I think whilst Mares poses different questions than Donaire he will ultimately be opened up to big counters

#14 ·
Frampton would be an interesting fight, I don't think Quigg would be remotely prepared for Rigo though, hasn't seen anything like him.

Darchinyan would be a fun fight just to see how many times Vic would hit the canvas, and whether or not he could muster up that one big shot.
Yeah i'm interested to see the frampton fight in a couple of years, really do rate him

#15 ·
He'd school Santa Cruz right now, who I do like but is way too one-dimensional IMO. Can't see him getting to Rigo often enough to wear him down much.

#16 ·
He schools Mares, did it in the ams and would do it again no question in my mind and Mares is an elite fighter, just styles :deal

The rest I'd have to make him a firm favourite on, he can be knocked out on any given day but he's just that good i only see Donaire as a viable guy to do so

#22 ·
I think Donaire, Mares and Santa Cruz all stop him.
Yeah but other than Donaire and Mares as I said, you think Santa Cruz is the only other person with the ability to do it? I think Cruz is a bit green to be honest.

yea none of them. Only seen a few of Rigo's fights and he's looked either sensational or maybe a bit lackluster. I think Mares can beat him depending of which version turns up
Do you think if there was a good ref who didn't allow Mares to be dirty he'd be as affective?

:sad2

None of them really, although opinions will obviously change after the Donaire fight depending on how many clean left hooks he can take since as the unanswered question seems to be on his chin. I'm expecting not too many but if he can take them well and come away with the win then he's gotta be favored against them all. I think whilst Mares poses different questions than Donaire he will ultimately be opened up to big counters
Yeah, that's what is so amazing about this fight. It answers so many questions. Even if Rigo gets KO'd in 1 round I'll be content with what I learn from it.

Mares and Donaire would stop him, Santa Cruz is a little too green but I would he very interested in that fight as long as SC continues to improve.
Who does it easier in your opinion? Do you see them outbrawling him? Do you think there is anybody around the division who can technically outbox him?

Frampton would be an interesting fight, I don't think Quigg would be remotely prepared for Rigo though, hasn't seen anything like him.

Darchinyan would be a fun fight just to see how many times Vic would hit the canvas, and whether or not he could muster up that one big shot.
Do you think Rigo could stop Darchinyan?

He'd school Santa Cruz right now, who I do like but is way too one-dimensional IMO. Can't see him getting to Rigo often enough to wear him down much.
:good

#24 · (Edited)
Just going to put this question forwards:

WOULD ANYBODY TECHNICALLY OUTBOX RIGONDEAUX OR WOULD THEY ALL OUTBRAWL HIM?
Donaire will, no doubt about it IMO. Rigo holds no real advantages in this fight, you can say speed, yeah but Nonito's excellent timing will negate it.

Donaire could outbox him or counter off the front foot and out a beating on Rig.

#25 ·
Donaire will, no doubt about it IMO. Rigo holds no real advantages in this fight, you can say speed, yeah but Nonito's excellent timing will negate it.

Donaire could outbox him or counter off the front foot and out a beating on Rig.
I'd say a massive advantage for Rigo is patience. Donaire loves to please the crowd and look for one big knock out punch. I see Rigo taking advantage of that a lot. I'm not certain he wins it. He has a big shot in my opinion. If you're so certain he dominates him I think you'll be surprised.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.