Boxing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
20,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally i was going to call it "Who wasted more of their talent?" but that sounded harsh, even if the new one doesnt make sense. Although both became the man at Heavyweight (Tyson probably achieving more) but I always feel Tyson could have really dominated for a while longer, and him vs Lewis and Holyfield somewhere near a peak would have great fights, but he couldnt stay focussed. Same goes for Bowe, who could have been a much bigger name than he is now, but who was more of a "waste"?

· Registered
6,554 Posts
Originally i was going to call it "Who wasted more of their talent?" but that sounded harsh, even if the new one doesnt make sense. Although both became the man at Heavyweight (Tyson probably achieving more) but I always feel Tyson could have really dominated for a while longer, and him vs Lewis and Holyfield somewhere near a peak would have great fights, but he couldnt stay focussed. Same goes for Bowe, who could have been a much bigger name than he is now, but who was more of a "waste"?
Go to be Tyson, he must be the great with the shortest peak , being about 3 years!

· Registered
3,168 Posts
I never thought Tysons style was made for a longevity and as it turns out neither was his mental make up. When Tyson was 22-23 there were a lot of people asking "Imagine what he'll be like in 5 years time when he's in his prime?", even without problems outside the ring I never thought he'd get any better after around 25 and would probably be on the slide by 28, certainly by 29. I think even without prison we saw the vast majority of Tysons prime.

As for Bowe, I'm not sure he was THAT good in the greater scheme of things, either that, or he had a very short prime. Depends on how you view it has to how much he wasted his talent by over eating/ lack of commitment/ poor mental attitude and how much was a naturally short prime.

To the original question: Tyson for me because I think if not for prison he hah a couple more years at the very top if he wanted them. I'm not 100% sure you can say that about Bowe.

· Registered
20,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go to be Tyson, he must be the great with the shortest peak , being about 3 years!
what about bowes peak?

I never thought Tysons style was made for a longevity and as it turns out neither was his mental make up. When Tyson was 22-23 there were a lot of people asking "Imagine what he'll be like in 5 years time when he's in his prime?", even without problems outside the ring I never thought he'd get any better after around 25 and would probably be on the slide by 28, certainly by 29. I think even without prison we saw the vast majority of Tysons prime.

As for Bowe, I'm not sure he was THAT good in the greater scheme of things, either that, or he had a very short prime. Depends on how you view it has to how much he wasted his talent by over eating/ lack of commitment/ poor mental attitude and how much was a naturally short prime.

To the original question: Tyson for me because I think if not for prison he hah a couple more years at the very top if he wanted them. I'm not 100% sure you can say that about Bowe.
ye thats what i was thinking, tyson probably was never going to have a long peak, but he would have given himself a chance to beat holyfield and lewis or at least get a few other half decent names on his record before he started slipping

· Registered
115 Posts
Giving the short version.

Bowe had the wrong manager. Which denied him potential opponents/options once he got contender, even champion status.

Both were talents. On who I would have liked to have seen achieve several more top performances, yes Mike Tyson. But for potential that appeared as though it was never attained, Riddick Bowe.

· Registered
20,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't class Bowe as a 'Great' .
ah but did he waste his potential to be great? a super-heavy that could fight inside and had a win over evander holyfield, should he not have gone on to greatness there, thus wasting his potential? or was that about his level?

· Registered
6,554 Posts
ah but did he waste his potential to be great? a super-heavy that could fight inside and had a win over evander holyfield, should he not have gone on to greatness there, thus wasting his potential? or was that about his level?
I get what you're saying yeah. So possibly Tyson fulfilled his promise and peaked early. Where as Bowe never reached his peak.

· Registered
115 Posts
Or did he reach it and he'd just flattered to decieve?

(playing Devils Advocate a bit)
I think Mike Tyson had several great attributes, and yes you do come across fans of Tyson today who laud him as "the greatest ever" and so forth. But at the time the majority of people wanted Tyson to be what they had envisioned so badly, they excused and overlooked flaws in his character and boxing skills.

Was he good? Yes. Was he a great? Yes. Was he one of the best? I would place several others above him.

· Registered
6,554 Posts
I think Mike Tyson had several great attributes, and yes you do come across fans of Tyson today who laud him as "the greatest ever" and so forth. But at the time the majority of people wanted Tyson to be what they had envisioned so badly, they excused and overlooked flaws in his character and boxing skills.

Was he good? Yes. Was he a great? Yes. Was he one of the best? I would place several others above him.

He's top 10 IMO albeit lower top 10

· Registered
3,168 Posts
Funny thing is people really wanted Tyson to come long because the HW division had lost a lot of its sparkle and was considered to be at a low ebb historically but if you look back now there were some very good fighters but who just couldn't string a few exciting fights together to make fans care.

It was certainly a lot better, more talented and more interesting than the division today.

· Registered
115 Posts
Funny thing is people really wanted Tyson to come long because the HW division had lost a lot of its sparkle and was considered to be at a low ebb historically but if you look back now there were some very good fighters but who just couldn't string a few exciting fights together to make fans care.

It was certainly a lot better, more talented and more interesting than the division today.
I would love to have the 80's Heavyweights back on the scene, just for the Americans to pay the division some attention.

He's top 10 IMO albeit lower top 10
I haven't compiled a top ten list, it would be an interesting exercise to do a community list perhaps?

· Registered
22,444 Posts
I'm going with Bowe on this one. Although tyson wasted some I think he achieved quite a lot and would have still had a few surprise losses even if he remained focused. Bowe seemed to beat Holyfield and then went ino cruise control, I honestly think there was only Lewis out there to beat him and I don't think Lewis would necessarily have won. Bowe was a massive and athletic heavy with a dig and could box very well but Holyfield aside he never really done anything astounding.

· Registered
115 Posts
I'm going with Bowe on this one. Although tyson wasted some I think he achieved quite a lot and would have still had a few surprise losses even if he remained focused. Bowe seemed to beat Holyfield and then went ino cruise control, I honestly think there was only Lewis out there to beat him and I don't think Lewis would necessarily have won. Bowe was a massive and athletic heavy with a dig and could box very well but Holyfield aside he never really done anything astounding.
Would you include a Holyfield victory in '91/92 as a surprise loss for Tyson if it had occured?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.