Boxing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Anti-Bully
13,845 Posts
I'd agree that it depends on the result, if he's beaten again and wants to continue in the sport, the guy is going to need a string of gimme wins to get his confidence back up there.

If he wins, potential trilogy with Usyk or possibility of tempting Fury into the fight. I wouldn't take that fight with only a few months recovery and training though.

·
The Anti-Bully
13,845 Posts
I really couldn't see what the plan would be at that point if he loses? Hope that Fury really retires and relinquishes the WBC belt and hope he can get a chance to fight for it? I presume if that does happen Usyk will want to scoop it up anyway which rules AJ out. There is very little chance that he could fight Usyk a third time without probably beating at least two of Joyce/Dubois/Wilder and even then it would seem like a long shot. Assuming he could make and win those fights that would likely take us into 2024 anyway by which time he'll be 35 and past it. I still have yet to hear a credible plan from anyone that is more sensible that AJ retiring if he loses...
There will only be a third fight with Usyk if he wins and there was something close about the fight... like AJ miraculously wins on points or Usyk was handling him easily for most of the fight and then AJ lands the KO out of nowhere.

Then a third fight is intriguing.

If Usyk just beats him wide on points again then yeah he would need to prove his place for another title shot.

·
The Anti-Bully
13,845 Posts
Hearn reiterating post fight AJ will be back and naming Whyte and Wilder as potential opponents :

“I’d like to see him back out. Maybe even in late December,” Hearn added.

“There’s massive fights for him. Dillian Whyte, Deontay Wilder.

“There’s so many fights for him in the top 10. There’s even some Brits for him that are coming through in a couple of fights as well.”

“We’ve just got to see what he wants to do. It’s going to be a tough, tough defeat to take but he’ll be back.”
Sounds like he wants Joshua to go back to easier fights a few times a year before getting in there with Wilder or the likes.

People forget he was a 10-0 prospect fighting the Skeltons, Sprotts and Zumbano's of the world before he took his first Championship fight and that was against a weak belt holder... from that point on he's obligated to fight better contenders.

·
The Anti-Bully
13,845 Posts
If AJ is stupid enough to continue, I don't expect it to last long, he won't be properly motivated and will cut corners to try and pick up the cheque and he'll get caught out and give credence to the complete arseholes who hang around here to claim he shouldn't have ever won a single bout. AJ wouldn't lose to any of the names given in a title fight, he is a way superior fighter to the one who beat Whyte in 2015 and Wilder is a joke propped up by the Fury fanboys but if you don't take it seriously you can and will lose to anyone.
Who was Joshuas best win in your opinion?

·
The Anti-Bully
13,845 Posts
Good post and assessment ahead of the Joshua/Usyk II fight. With AJ having lost 3 of his last 5 fights, he will definitely need some lesser talent before him-----and some convincing wins to get some confidence back.

On paper, he should not have lost to Ruiz or Usyk, but in the ring is where these things are determined and things didn't work out for AJ. Now, does he have the drive to repair the damage his career has taken with these losses or will he be content to just fade away and try to live off what he's already made in the ring and be content with "what was" and leave it at that.

That seems to have worked out for many former fighters if they manage their career earnings well.
That's true, he's made an unholy amount of money in his career and it's not been a career where he's taken too much damage. It's a strange one though because he's still young, fresh, driven and much more than a handful for almost anybody out there... not everyone has the skillset of Usyk.

Like I said in another post, if we're truthful about AJ's career... he had the typical resume building fights up until the Kevin Johnson fight, in I think his 10th pro bout, he then faced a bunch of green or average guys like Breazeale and Whyte, his best win was going life and death against a ring rusty Wlad who hadn't fought since losing to Fury about a year and a half earlier (basically came out of retirement for that fight), then he fought some of the guys who I consider to be a bit less than the top tier, like Parker and Pulev... then he loses embarrassingly to Ruiz, regains his titles by fighting in the most cautious way possible and then loses immediately twice in pretty clear fashion to a much smaller but much more talented boxer.

I just think he was brought on too early and marketed really well by Hearn... he had the sponsorships, he looked like a videogame character version of what a HW Champ is meant to look like and had the power to have a great highlight reel against poor opposition... but I think he needed an extra 7-8 fights against gradually better guys in the division before making the step up.

I can't criticise too harshly because look at the money he's made but if we're talking legacy and a full career, is the money going to be enough to make him happy?

It can be a curse too sometimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts