Boxing Forums banner

Who will be the middleweight supremacist?

2K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  w;dkm ckeqfjq c 
#1 ·
So all the top middleweights are now fighting each other. When its all said and done, who will walk away as the perceived best of this era?

And who wins these upcoming fights?

Sergio Martinez/Julio Cesar Chavez
Peter Quillan/Hassan Ndam Njikam
Daniel Geale/Felix Sturm
Gennady Golovkin/Grezgorz Proksa

Other Contenders:

Dmitry Pirog
Demitrius Andrade

Outsiders:

Matt Korobov
Billy Joe Saunders
Fernando Guerrero
Darren Barker
Martin Murray
Matthew Macklin
Andy Lee
Anthony Mundine

See less See more
#3 ·
Sergio Martinez/Julio Cesar Chavez > Maravilla T/KO
Peter Quillin/Hassan Ndam Njikam > Chocolade kid UD
Daniel Geale/Felix Sturm > Sturm PTS (anything's possible)
Gennady Golovkin/Grezgorz Proksa > GGG T/KO

For now Martinez will be ruler... within 1½ to 2 years it will be Glovekin

#4 ·
The fight is going to be Martinez vs Golovkin

Still not convinced with Pirog, I think the Jacobs fight may have flattered him slightly. For me the surprise package could be N'Jikam, I haven't seen a vast amount of him but he looks a good all rounder. May be let down a little by his slight lack of KO power compared to the other two.

#8 ·
Sergio Martinez/Julio Cesar Chavez- Chavez close Points
Peter Quillan/Hassan Ndam Njikam- Quillan TKO late
Daniel Geale/Felix Sturm- Geale wide Points
Gennady Golovkin/Grezgorz Proksa- Golovkin TKO middle

Think Golovkin, Chavez and Geale will be battling it out for top spot

#11 ·
Not sure Hassan has the chin to stay with Quillin. Not that he's a mega puncher, but seen him rocked by random Armenian's. Good mover and athlete though.

Golovkin looks a beast at the moment and the rumours coming out of gyms seem ominous, if he puts Proksa away with ease he'll be on his way.

#13 ·
I agree that it looks like Martinez will come out on top when he retires but I think Chavez has the talent to be the heir to his throne (if he doesn't beat him).

Quillin and Golovkin have great potential too. It's shaping up nicely, one of the most exciting divisions around right now.

#15 · (Edited)
How long can Chavez make 160 for though? I know its very likely that's he using diuretics to help his weight loss, but surely he cant make that weight for the rest of his career. He's hitting his late 20's, and he's only going to find it even harder to make the weight. A move to 168 will be inevitable soon enough imo, but once he moves up, many of the physical advantage's he enjoys over his opponents now are going to be lessened. Can't see too much success for him should he ever move up tbh.

#16 ·
How long can Chavez make 160 for though? I know its very likely that's he using diuretics to help his weight loss, but surely he cant make that weight for the rest of his career. He's hitting his late around 20's, and he's only going to find it even harder to make the weight. A move to 168 will be inevitable soon enough imo, but once he moves up, many of the physical advantage's he enjoys over his opponents now are going to be lessened. Can't see too much success for him should he ever move up tbh.
Yeah, good point, I meant to put that in my post too. Surely he can't stay middle forever.

#18 ·
All I know is this is exactly what you want to be happening in a division. Exciting flash and p4p talent, exciting power, undefeated records, unifications, HBO broadcast showdowns. I love what's happening right now. Martinez may be the best/most proven p4p talent in the division, but I cannot claim I'd be surprised if Golovkin were to overtake him.

#19 ·
Nah he cant imo, he might even move up right away if he loses to Martinez, you never know. Lets see him try bully and breakdown the likes of Froch, Kessler and Ward though:yep
He is likely to time it well though. Ward, Froch and Kessler have all said they fancy moving up north and even whilst they are in the division they are going to be looking at fighting each other for the time being.

That would leave the likes of Dirrell, Pavlik, Abraham, Bute (who I can also see moving up), Oosthuzien and then the division doesn't look half as tough as it did.

#22 ·
Sergio is beyond the best MW right now but he doesnt have long left maybe 2 more wins after chavez. When he retires I think Glovkin will take the crown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.