Boxing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
George Kambosos is a wanted man. He has the belts and everybody else wants them. Who do you think he will fight in his first defence?

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
Have any mandatories been assigned yet?

I doubt any top-level fighter will want to face him on purpose. He's far from unbeatable, but he's got a style / skillset that can make a good fighter look foolish.

·
The World's Great Lover
34,096 Posts
They said he was ringside at the Haney fight because thats the fight htey are trying to get made

·
Fighting the Fury loving Scum
1,484 Posts
Haney makes sense I don't think the money will be bigger elsewhere and it has the Undisputed on the line. I think Haney is marginal favourite but for me it's 52/48 based on their last fights.

·
buff it good
5,124 Posts
One option for George Kambosos first up is a voluntary defense of his titles in Australia.

Undefeated local prospects Jacob Ng and Brock Jarvis could be possible opponents and would be considered fairly safe fights.

This would enable George some further exposure as champion, a payday and a lead-in to a big fight with someone like Haney.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
One option for George Kambosos first up is a voluntary defense of his titles in Australia.

Undefeated local prospects Jacob Ng and Brock Jarvis could be possible opponents and would be considered fairly safe fights.

This would enable George some further exposure as champion, a payday and a lead-in to a big fight with someone like Haney.
I really want George to get a voluntary in down under before anything else. He deserves it.

But I don't know about those two. Neither would be a good look for him.
Jarvis could potentially sell in Aus. Especially after his exciting last fight. But is he even ranked at lightweight? He's been a career Super featherweight apart from his last fight.
Jacob Ng belongs no where near a world title shot. I was just hugely shocked to see the WBO have him 6th..... George would become a laughing stock if that was his first defence.

Maybe a rematch with Selby could work? I don't know.
I would expect George to beat him cleaner a second time around though.

·
buff it good
5,124 Posts
I really want George to get a voluntary in down under before anything else. He deserves it.

Jarvis could potentially sell in Aus. Especially after his exciting last fight. But is he even ranked at lightweight? He's been a career Super featherweight apart from his last fight.
Jacob Ng belongs no where near a world title shot. I was just hugely shocked to see the WBO have him 6th..... George would become a laughing stock if that was his first defence.

I was just throwing around some Aussie names. But you are right, they are hardly intimidating opposition for George.

I don't think a Selby rematch makes any more sense than Jarvis and Ng though. An all Aussie fight would probably sell better too.

·
Fighting the Fury loving Scum
1,484 Posts

Pretty hard to fight any of those guys given the number of elite Lightweights out there at the moment, part of the gig of being Unified champ in a division this deep is having to fight hard fights everytime out.

·
buff it good
5,124 Posts
Pretty hard to fight any of those guys given the number of elite Lightweights out there at the moment, part of the gig of being Unified champ in a division this deep is having to fight hard fights everytime out.
Only fools fight hard opponents every time out.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Fair call.
Though as long as it's a reasonable opponent and happens within a reasonable amount of time, lets say signed early Jan at latest, fight end of Feb or early March, I don't think anyone would truely begrudge George getting in a voluntary. Especially the Aus border isn't fully openned yet.

Haney can come down under after that and both him and George can make bank!!!

·
delivering the truth
622 Posts
Starting to look like either Haney or Lomachenko next for Kambosos.

Garcia and Davis have also been mentioned but both seem to be excluding themselves.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
"We’ve got to really let Australia know what’s going on and how big this fight will be. This will be the biggest fight in Australian history. It’ll be a stadium fight in Sydney or Melbourne. We’re in negotiations with both, and it’ll be very exciting. I wouldn’t be real to the crowd if I told them I’m coming back for an easy fight. What for? I’m coming for the big names, and we’re already in negotiations with everybody."

Those are the latest words from the champion but with what's gone on recently with the treatment of tennis' world number 1 in Australia in the government quarantining him against his will, ignoring his visa and medical papers and forcing him to seek (and get) justice in an Australian court, I can't see this being a popular choice of venue for organisers. If the Australian Open champion has to incur legal fees before he can play his sport there then any non-Australian national who intends to fly there for this fight and doesn't wish to be vaccinated, be it trainers, sanctioning body staff, promoter's etc are probably not going to be able to do so.

I no longer want to see Australia get the fight, hopefully the sanctioning bodies will refuse to let it take place there due to recent discriminatory practices.

·
'G' nius
27,179 Posts
Loma for sure. Lopez rematch I thought but he's acting a bit odd.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Thing is it doesn't matter what the opponents want anymore. GK has is in the drivers seat and he calls the shots.
Extremely unlikely the sanctioning bodies refuse to allow a fight down under. The WBC have already mandated all their refs, supervisors etc be vaccinated. Hard to see them go back on that.

Devin Haney already expressed he is fine coming to Aus. Plus it will be by far the biggest money fight out there for him. Doubtful he'd knock it back.
The big pay day would just about be the same for any of the big names in the lightweight division. GK will have a financial huge backing behind him in Aus.

It's hard with all the belts but personally I would like to see GK take a softer touch as a voluntary defence first up. Get him into somewhere like Qudos Bank Arena in Sydney which has a 21k capacity.
He'll sell it out and also raise his profile in Aus. Beating Lopez definitely raised his profile but I get the feeling it's still not as big as it should be at home for GK...

After that he should bring Haney over for full unification. Get Tim Tszyu VS Tony Harrison/Liam Smith or someone of the likes as a support bout and then you've got a real big show down under!!

Also Fuck Djokovic. He didn't have his shit in order. He shouldn't have been let in. He didn't win the case based on him having done the right thing. He won it based on a procedural screw up. It was made extremely clear to him and the tennis governing bodies that having had covid in the past 6 months was not a valid excuse to not quarantine. Fuck him and his conspiracy bullshit

1 - 14 of 14 Posts