Boxing Forums banner

Who's the greatest amateur ever?

2558 Views 78 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  ThinBlack
Who is the best amateur boxer ever? You can judge it how you want, be that medal haul or performance or whatever. Is it Papp? Stevenson? Savon? Kindelan? Or maybe even Rigondeaux or Lomachenko? Or do people think people like Ray Leonard, Whitaker or Roy Jones etc deserve an honourable mention for good perfomances in Olympics?

Personally I favour ones that consistently perform over various tournaments but can't pick a no. 1, if pushed I'd say Papp
61 - 79 of 79 Posts
I am one of the few that thinks Loma only needs about 10 fights to be able to maul Broner.
I don't think he needs any, I would bet my life on Lomachenko beating him if they fought tomorrow. Broner might end up being a good fighter but at the moment he's very much a work in progress imo. Whereas Lomachenko is already a complete fighter, he just needs to turn pro now and collect his accolades/money.
Same :deal I was lucky enough to meet and get a photo with the Great One, and I would back him if they fought Broner tomorrow, he just adapts and wins against whatever is put in front of him. Broner struggled with the movement of PDL, Lomachenko could be p4p the GOAT imo
Why did he not go to the Olympics Flea?
True..

Wow, Felix Savon beat Ibragimov, Krasniqi, Brewster and Briggs.
362-21, 16 golds, 1 silver in all major amateur championships.

Lazlo Papp was HOF'ed mainly because of his amateur career. It's a big shame he wasn't allowed to continue fighting.

Loma definitey has the greatest record of all time..Loma looks like an ATG in the making too IMO. I would imagine he just needs practice to be able to space himself accordingly over 12 rounds, that could take a while. Other then that, sure, he could beat Broner pretty easy.
Why did he not go to the Olympics Flea?
All African nations boycotted Montreal as NZ played a rugby game with apartheid era South Africa and New Zealand were still allowed to go to Olympics.
It has to be Ray Robinson,virtually unbeatable as an amateur,who was so good that 1 year after turning pro, he whipped such great veteran boers as
Sammy Angott and Mr Gentleman , Fritzie Zivic...This shows you how great Ray Robinson was as an amateur !!!
All African nations boycotted Montreal as NZ played a rugby game with apartheid era South Africa and New Zealand were still allowed to go to Olympics.
cheers did not know that :good
It has to be Ray Robinson,virtually unbeatable as an amateur,who was so good that 1 year after turning pro, he whipped such great veteran boers as
Sammy Angott and Mr Gentleman , Fritzie Zivic...This shows you how great Ray Robinson was as an amateur !!!
Such a shame he couldnt go to an Olympic games, surefire gold
Not really into watching amateur boxing that much, only like watching Stevenson every now and again thought he was pretty great
Stevenson? Some think Breland was pretty good. It is hard to separate his amatuer from his pro. career. Breland's professional career was not so great, and like it or not it does affect how we see his amatuer career.
I would go for Papp in all honesty. Avenging the loss to Zbigniew and 3 Gold medals? Mercy! What a beast
Sergio Martinez is pretty much a bad version of Papp, and slightly bigger. Don't think Papp would've won the title even if he'd carried on, better chance with Giardello, but not Joey at that point probably, and no chance with Tiger.

Tangent over, but Papp was the man for me.
Stevenson? Some think Breland was pretty good. It is hard to separate his amatuer from his pro. career. Breland's professional career was not so great, and like it or not it does affect how we see his amatuer career.
He avenged the only loss of his amateur career as a pro though. He would definitely be right up there, he was a monster. A young monster as well, not a grown man at his peak, Breland was a skilled fighter and a serious puncher right out of the box.
Being Irish, I am tempted to say Katie Taylor, has a perfect record in international competitions, but between the 3 triple Olympic champs, I'd go for Stevenson as he won the Val Barker trophy to boot
Rigondeaux and Lomachenko are the best I've seen a good amount of. Papp clearly deserves to be right up there, but I've not seen enough of him as an amatuer to give a reasonable breakdown of him compared to the other 2 I've named
Being Irish, I am tempted to say Katie Taylor, has a perfect record in international competitions, but between the 3 triple Olympic champs, I'd go for Stevenson as he won the Val Barker trophy to boot
you want the best amateur in ireland, google jim mc court
I don't think he needs any, I would bet my life on Lomachenko beating him if they fought tomorrow. Broner might end up being a good fighter but at the moment he's very much a work in progress imo. Whereas Lomachenko is already a complete fighter, he just needs to turn pro now and collect his accolades/money.
I'm more of a Lomachenko fan, but a fight against Broner would be REALLY interesting. If there's one little weakness I see in Lomachenko, it's his left hand. He hooks it most of the time and rarely throws it straight, which could means trouble against someone with a good straight right. Broner would bring many difficulties, a good straight right with enough power to stuns anyone and he's also really stocky. It would be hard for Lomacheno to find his body and we all now how he likes to faint to the head and throw downstairs... I see it having little effect on Broner.

I'd pick Lomachenko to win by UD because of his better work rate (who knows over 12 rounds) and great footwork. Broner would have much troubles letting his hands go... However, I would not be surprised to see Broner stuns him early with a straight right.
I'm more of a Lomachenko fan, but a fight against Broner would be REALLY interesting. If there's one little weakness I see in Lomachenko, it's his left hand. He hooks it most of the time and rarely throws it straight, which could means trouble against someone with a good straight right. Broner would bring many difficulties, a good straight right with enough power to stuns anyone and he's also really stocky. It would be hard for Lomacheno to find his body and we all now how he likes to faint to the head and throw downstairs... I see it having little effect on Broner.

I'd pick Lomachenko to win by UD because of his better work rate (who knows over 12 rounds) and great footwork. Broner would have much troubles letting his hands go... However, I would not be surprised to see Broner stuns him early with a straight right.
I don't think I've ever seen Lomachenko get hit with straight punches. The reason why he throws that left as a hook most of the time is because he likes to fire it as a counter after slipping punches, he's not a fighter who stands straight up. If he was throwing it straight he'd be standing straight and he'd be there to be hit. That's not to say he never throws straight punches, in his last fight he dropped Bashenov with a short straight left.
Broner takes a long time to get his timing and rhythm in, against PDL he never really did. Against Lomachenko he'd never have a chance of getting settled. Someone with a good counter left hook and good timing would have a better chance of landing a hail mary punch. Someone like Donaire would be a much more difficult opponent than Broner imo.
Yeah, he does have that constant left-right movement with his upper body a la Tyson, from which he gets the power in his hooks. He's really got his own style tough, it's hard to compare him to anyone. Do you recommand any of his fights where we could see him more on the backfoot ?
Yeah, he does have that constant left-right movement with his upper body a la Tyson, from which he gets the power in his hooks. He's really got his own style tough, it's hard to compare him to anyone. Do you recommand any of his fights where we could see him more on the backfoot ?
Here are a few fights where he fights on the outside/on the backfoot at times:

At the Olympics in 2008

At the World Champs final in 2009

At the Junior World Champs final in 2006
Mark Breland, or Ray Leonard, to the minimum, they are up there.
61 - 79 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.